Answered

How is your AirPlay 2 performance on Sonos One SL?

• 7 October 2021
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hi All,

I have been debating getting a Sonos One speaker (still undecided on the One vs One SL but leaning towards the One SL refurb) and wanted to check in with folks on how well your Sonos One works with AirPlay 2. Does your Sonos One work well all the time, sometimes, or often has issues with AirPlay 2?

This would be taking into account two things:

1. General AirPlay 2 performance (smooth playback, music quality, hiccups, delays etc.)
  2. Multi speaker performance (either through Sonos speaker grouping, or AirPlay 2 speaker grouping)

Would really appreciate hearing any feedback from the community :)

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 October 2021, 07:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Not sure I understand the request. I start playback on my iOS device, I pull up the AirPlay 2 menu, and choose the speaker I want to send the signal to. iOS does the handshake, and the Sonos speaker starts playing. The Sonos software is not part of the process, unless I choose to group the receiving speaker with other Sonos speakers, so they all play the AirPlay 2 signal being sent to the one speaker. I never try to waste bandwidth from my iOS device to send the same signal to multiple Sonos devices, better to have one stream, and let the Sonos do what it is designed to do, share one stream to multiple locations. 

Badge

No issues whatsoever on the Sonos side. I have had to reboot my iOS device twice over the last several years to get it to connect, but never the router or Sonos.

I have only ever used Sonos software to group one speaker’s AirPlay 2 signal, under the assumption that sending an AirPlay 2 signal to more than one device at a time might tax the abilities of my iOS device, and why use double the output bandwidth when I can just use the normal Sonos grouping. 

Truth and well said!  May want to give additional info on AirPlay abs how it actually works as could enlighten others more. Appreciate your contributions mate. 🙏

No issues whatsoever on the Sonos side. I have had to reboot my iOS device twice over the last several years to get it to connect, but never the router or Sonos.

I have only ever used Sonos software to group one speaker’s AirPlay 2 signal, under the assumption that sending an AirPlay 2 signal to more than one device at a time might tax the abilities of my iOS device, and why use double the output bandwidth when I can just use the normal Sonos grouping.