Answered

How humidity resistant is play 1?

• 29 March 2017
  • 5 replies

Hello
We have two play 5 first generation wish we thinks is great but now we are thinking about get speakers for or terrass. The thing I was wondering about is how humidity resistant the play 1 is for outdoor, can I leave it out under the summer as long as it's under roof or do I need take them in every night? On the website it stands that it can be use in bathroom so it shouldn't be any problem but I just want to be sure. For the new generation play 5 it also says that it's humidity resistant but not whether resistance, is it enough to have it under roof under the summer? I live in Sweden so it don't use to get hotter then 30 degrees Celsius but sometimes we have morning dew.
icon

Best answer by MikeV 30 March 2017, 15:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge
I have the same question, at the moment - I'm taking in my Play:5 each night... I'm almost more afraid of breaking it by moving it around from hot/cold and dry/humid locations all the time than leaving it as is
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Play:1's main use case in its humidity resistant design was being put in a small bathroom, where steam may condense on things in the room. To this end, it may tolerate a light to moderate fog/mist outside, but anything more significant than that could potentially cause issues, especially if it happened on a daily basis. If you're considering putting it in a screened porch or gazebo, putting it above the roofline would probably allow for more extreme humidity conditions, because above the roofline doesn't usually get affected by fog/mist/dew as much as being below the roofline.

As for the Play:5... given the cost, I would NEVER leave one of those outside!
The Play:1's main use case in its humidity resistant design was being put in a small bathroom, where steam may condense on things in the room. To this end, it may tolerate a light to moderate fog/mist outside, but anything more significant than that could potentially cause issues, especially if it happened on a daily basis. If you're considering putting it in a screened porch or gazebo, putting it above the roofline would probably allow for more extreme humidity conditions, because above the roofline doesn't usually get affected by fog/mist/dew as much as being below the roofline.

As for the Play:5... given the cost, I would NEVER leave one of those outside!

On our house the roof is hanging out quite a bit from the walls so we thought to have it ever there or in our gazbo there it will be protected from wind and rain.

And yes, you are right about the Play:5, it's to expensive.
Badge +1
Mike V is right on the nose. The Play:1 is designed with the steam levels you would normally see in a bathroom (except in the UK where different rules for power apply), but we wouldn’t recommend placing the Play:1 or any other Sonos speaker in direct contact with water.