Answered

How do you open a PLAY5 speaker?.

• 17 January 2019
  • 6 replies

I have a Play 5 gen 2, and it fell off a shelf, fortunatelly on a sofa, but the cable tore apart. I’d like to see if I can repair it.
icon

Best answer by Smilja 17 January 2019, 18:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You'll need to google for a tutorial, Sonos won't tell you how to open it.
That’s just the power cable, I don’t think you’d need to open it at all. Get a pair of needle nose pliers, grab the part that’s sticking out of the PLAY:5 and pull it out. Then replace it with another power cable, they sell them here on this website, or perhaps at Flexson or Amazon.
And I’d be pulling on the rubber part, not the metal cables....
Userlevel 2
Badge
If you cant figure it out, I would like to talk to you about maybe buying it from you. I like to try and fix electronics myself. This would be a good excuse to get inside one. Also to try my hand at soldering the wire. This would be my first attempt at working on a Sonos product, so what an adventure it would be! Please post if you find a tutorial though! i just looked for a tutorial on youtube and there arent any so that makes me a little nervous lol
Userlevel 2
Badge
That’s just the power cable, I don’t think you’d need to open it at all. Get a pair of needle nose pliers, grab the part that’s sticking out of the PLAY:5 and pull it out. Then replace it with another power cable, they sell them here on this website, or perhaps at Flexson or Amazon.

If the cable is removable then thats an easy fix! Glad he didnt lose out on the speaker, Id cry if my 500$ speaker didnt work because the cord tore off
I “think” it would just require a strong grip on the rubber part, and some careful wiggling back and forth. As I recall when I connected that cable on my PLAY:5s (gen 2), it was a relatively snug fit.