Question

How do I use my Sonos One SL as computer speakers

I appreciate that the Sonos One SLs are not originally designed to be computer speakers but is there a way that I can use them that way? 

My laptop recognises these speakers under “Bluetooth & other devices > Wireless display & docks" but I cannot seem to get the speakers recognised as audio devices to be able to connect to them.

However, there is no issue accessing the speakers when playing through Spotify. 

Why is that?  Is there a workaround?

I am a Windows 10 user on a Surface Pro 5 if that helps.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

It may be possible to find a Windows App that will stream its audio in a form that behaves like an Internet Radio station. I’ve never attempted to find such a program because this is not something that I would want to do.

Are you attempting to play general computer audio? You can easily play music files stored on the computer. If you want to play a specific service, check to see if SONOS has native support for the service.

There is something called ‘stream what you hear’ that mimics a radio station like that.  I tried it several years ago and found the sound quality poor, the stream unreliable and the audio lag appalling.  Apart from that it was fine.  It may have improved.

TuneBlade works to add Airplay 2 on Windows and specifically calls out support for Sonos.  I tried the free version to check it out and had all computer sound going to a Beam and a Beam/Play 1 group simultaneously.  I also tried AirParrot 3 in Audio mode but couldn’t get it to work.

It may be possible to find a Windows App that will stream its audio in a form that behaves like an Internet Radio station. I’ve never attempted to find such a program because this is not something that I would want to do.

Are you attempting to play general computer audio? You can easily play music files stored on the computer. If you want to play a specific service, check to see if SONOS has native support for the service.

There is some delay between video and audio with TuneBlade.  I was getting 192 ms.

Sorry they are just not designed for that.  Playing digital streaming music files is a totally different exercise from casting all the audio on a device.  Sonos was designed as a multiroom audio system, for playing music files.

So the Sonos Play !: we can ONLY play stuff like iHeart Radio and the such?

The Sonos Play1: will never play Amazon Prime Movies, Netflix, and other movie platforms?

I think maybe the makers of Sonos are wearing the necktie way too tight the blood is not reaching their brain. Who in their right mind would create such a thing? Seems I purchased a very expensive doorstop as these speakers will not perform as expected.  

Does Sonos have speakers that will allow us to use their speakers with Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube?

Does Sonos have speakers that will allow us to use their speakers with Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube?

Yes, one with an audio-in jack, could cause intermittent dropouts and cutouts though. I’d recommend buying a Beam and connecting to the TV set or to the PC using an audio converter/extractor.

That is really interesting! I will check that out! Thank you. I have bought some Bluetooth speakers for my computer but if I want some beefier sound and this works, then that is fantastic! 

I have tried Stream What Your Hear but sadly couldn't get it all to connect together at the final hurdle. 

Never mind.

Thanks all. 

Sorry they are just not designed for that.  Playing digital streaming music files is a totally different exercise from casting all the audio on a device.  Sonos was designed as a multiroom audio system, for playing music files.

No, they are not Bluetooth and cannot play PC sounds.  The reason you can play Spotify is the speakers are Spotify Connect capable.