Question

How do I stop my cat turning on the music by stepping on the buttons?

• 7 April 2014
  • 5 replies

My cat has a habit of turning the sonos on in the middle of the night by stepping on the buttons. A friend has the same problem and solved it by taping the cap from a medicine bottle over the buttons. This is an ugly and inconvenient solution. It would be great if the sonos had a true "off" setting.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello Jsinai,

The only way to turn off a Sonos player is to unplug it. To prevent audio from turning on in the middle of the night, you can play a track in your queue, then click clear queue. The controller will show "No Music" in the Now Playing screen and pressing the Play button will only make the LED flash orange. This should prevent a feline-induced, startling wake-up in the middle of the night.
Hello Jsinai,

The only way to turn off a Sonos player is to unplug it. To prevent audio from turning on in the middle of the night, you can play a track in your queue, then click clear queue. The controller will show "No Music" in the Now Playing screen and pressing the Play button will only make the LED flash orange. This should prevent a feline-induced, startling wake-up in the middle of the night.

Thanks for your reply. We typically use pandora, not the queue feature, so this may not be the best solution for us.
Badge
Go into room settings and under the room you have it setup under turn off Speaker Touch Controls.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Four years ago, when this topic was live there were no touch controls, only push buttons.

Still for the new Sonos gear your solution might do the trick, cats have been blamed for much Sonos related oddness.
This setting works for the physical controls on all Sonos players and is presumably there for this sort of scenario - pets and children.