Question

How do I play audio only from DVD player without turning tv on with playbar?

• 27 April 2017
  • 7 replies

I'd like to play audio only from my dvd player without turning the tv on with the playbar? How do I do this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Simplest way is via Optical out on the DVD, it it has one. Otherwise you can buy a an HDMI to Optical converted and use that. They retail around £15
John
And it isn't a good idea to keep physically swapping cables, so an optical switch would be a good idea.
And it isn't a good idea to keep physically swapping cables, so an optical switch would be a good idea.

Whats the issue with swapping cables? Is this something that should be avoided due to wear and tear or for convenience?
In my experience, optical cables are more prone to breakage/bending issues than metal cables. Of course, it probably all depends on how much money you spend on them, and how thick the covering is, but I'm a cheapskate, and since it's digital data, it either works, or it doesn't. I don't spend a lot on them. But yea, I'd be somewhat cautious about swapping them in and out, especially if someone else was required to do it on occasion.

Whats the issue with swapping cables? Is this something that should be avoided due to wear and tear or for convenience?
Potential damage, if done frequently, to the optical ports. Just potential, not inevitable. There's also the convenience aspect, but it's all just personal choice.
Thanks both of you for the replies.
Badge
Hi,

Interesting topic.
I just purchased a Playbase.
I also want to play the sound from movie DVD's directly on my Playbase, without even using a TV.
I will project the movies on the wall with a projector.
I will follow your advise to use an optical cable between Playbase and DVD player.
Which brand or type of a good quality DVD player would you advise me ?

Many thanks in advance.