Answered

How Do I Add a Sonos One SL to An Existing Room With Sonos Amp & Sub

• 20 July 2022
  • 5 replies

My existing setup is a Sonos Amp, a Sonos Sub and a pair of conventional ceiling speakers wired to produce stereo audio (obviously).  I then bought a Sonos One SL to add to the same room to “widen” the audio image.

However, when adding it to the system it did not offer me the option of adding it to the existing room.  So, I just created a new variation of the room name.

But now when I play audio I get 2 volume controls on the app (one for what was the original setup) and one for the new speaker.  This means I have to adjust one of those volume sliders each time I begin playing from my music library. 

How can I set them up to be in the same room with just one volume control and, I assume some balance slider that I can set once and then leave?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by buzz 20 July 2022, 23:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You can’t.

If you had two One SLs (or a One SL and a One) you could bond the two of them with the Amp as surrounds. They’d then all be one ‘room’.

With a single speaker, all you can do is to group it as you have done. By the way the volume limit option in the room settings can be used to achieve a ‘balance’ setting between rooms which are persistently grouped. 

Thanks for the information and the suggestion of limiting the volume of one through room settings.  But I really don’t want to limit volume as I’m a loud music sort of bloke!

It would seem, at least, that I haven’t set it up wrongly. 

Thanks for the information and the suggestion of limiting the volume of one through room settings.  But I really don’t want to limit volume as I’m a loud music sort of bloke!

It would seem, at least, that I haven’t set it up wrongly. 

You are trying to have 3 speakers play a two channel stereo source, which is going to muck up the soundstage (which is why it isn't an option to configure a Room this way).  More speakers are not necessarily better sound.

You can use the Group Volume to simultaneously adjust both “Rooms”. It’s not necessary to have the numbers for individual Rooms to agree, however, if one or the other Room slider  bumps into the end of travel, the ratio will change.

“Volume Limit” does not work exactly as many people assume. It’s really a ‘ratio’ setting. For example you could set Volume Limit such that an indication of ‘100’ on the slider is only 90%. Adjusting the Volume Limit could allow better agreements between the slider numbers and potentially avoid the “bumps into the end of travel” described above.

You can use the Group Volume to simultaneously adjust both “Rooms”. It’s not necessary to have the numbers for individual Rooms to agree, however, if one or the other Room slider  bumps into the end of travel, the ratio will change.

“Volume Limit” does not work exactly as many people assume. It’s really a ‘ratio’ setting. For example you could set Volume Limit such that an indication of ‘100’ on the slider is only 90%. Adjusting the Volume Limit could allow better agreements between the slider numbers and potentially avoid the “bumps into the end of travel” described above.

Thanks for that clear information and suggestion