Hot Swap Music To Different Zone Via Play/Pause Button

• 5 February 2015
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
  • Headliner I
  • 1032 replies
On another thread a user posted idea for the ability to send music to another room only by one click. Personally I think that this could be achieved by double tapping the Play/Pause button on the device in the room you move to. So let's say I have music playing in my kitchen and I move to my upstairs bedroom, I can currently group the zones so my current music plays in the bedroom and kitchen or I can stop the music in kitchen and using the controller start the music in the bedroom - so this could take a while as I might have a playlist playing and would have to stop and then restart that playlist. No what if we could hot swap the zones to start playing what was currently playing in the kitchen to carry on in the bedroom and stop in the kitchen - this could be achieved by simply double tapping the Play/Pause button on what ever play device or connect was in that zone. It would also need to work across all zones so as I move around the house so I can double tap the Play/Pause button and hot swap zones. Your thoughts on this please!

4 replies

So how to disinguish two or more zones with different music playing to swap from?

I think it's not a practical feature of a multizone/room system. Besides the function of the Play/Pause-Mute button has to be sorted out first before it is crowded with more alternatives.

It could be as easy as it was in the 4.3 interface.

Choose ROOMS
Group your new room with the playing one and unselect the old.
Finnished.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
I do not see that this feature could work if more than one zone was playing a different source and would only work if only one zone was active. For me I'm the main user of my setup and would find this function handy. Never used older version of controller.
In the case of powered speakers, such as PLAY:1, PLAY:3, PLAY:5, and PLAYBAR, their location is obvious and some sort of button press could be used, but what about a CONNECT or CONNECT:AMP that could be hidden in another room?

There are beacon technologies of various sorts that might be able to detect a user, but what if Jack and Jill both go to the kitchen and want their music to follow?

Here is a discussion that brings up points about the problems associated with beacons. I'm not endorsing, nor do I have any experience with the company, but I thought that the discussion was reasonable.

Actually, in the 1960's an office phone system offered this feature -- phone calls would follow the Callee and the nearest phone would ring. The Callee wore an ultrasonic beacon and there were receivers in each room. Since the ultrasonic energy did not penetrate walls, there were few false positives -- unlike WiFi or Bluetooth.
Userlevel 3
So how to disinguish two or more zones with different music playing to swap from?

I think it's not a practical feature of a multizone/room system. Besides the function of the Play/Pause-Mute button has to be sorted out first before it is crowded with more alternatives.

It could be as easy as it was in the 4.3 interface.

Choose ROOMS
Group your new room with the playing one and unselect the old.
Finnished.

I do like this all the time. Normally, several units are grouped already and I would just add another and stop some of them if I plan to camp somewhare in the house for a while. I don't think Sonos would figure out which group/room to kill automatically. We are three users in three buildings plus outdoors in the summer.