Question

Homekit Integration

Userlevel 1
Is SONOS planning Homekit Integration?

24 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Hi Gopikrishnan Gopalakrishnan,

At this time I don't think SONOS have any announcements to make on this product feature.
Even if they were working on it they would not announce it until it's release.

We will just have to wait and see and hope that SONOS are still on the cutting edge of new software advancements!

Best regards!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have to agree as a Apple household HomeKit support would be great when we consumers can finally get our hands on it!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I have to agree as a Apple household HomeKit support would be great when we consumers can finally get our hands on it!
The integration of both Homekit and IFTTT would work great on SONOS in my eyes. (Considering that so many home security products use IFTTT and many lighting solutions integrate with HomeKit)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I've haven't seen Sonos working direct with Apple as of late with anything so Homekit support I would not forsee.
Userlevel 1
I feel the same way and have asked the same question. I think having sonos and Homekit working as one would help all people an make things easier.
HomeKit would be great, however I just replaced my NEST (which I really liked) as it wouldn't work with my other devices and they aren't telling if they are even planning support (over or also with their own networking) and given that SONOS has always seemed to have a problem with Apple devices (imho) such as the kluge player on the mac that won't do audiobooks or podcasts from iTunes (or Audible.com) now I am not going to hold my breath and have started looking for a replacement. I love my Sonos hardware and have every single unit (several of some) but I am getting used to being able to tell Siri what to do with lights, doors, blinds, and temperature... if someone else makes a system that streams as smoothly as SONOS and they don't announce soon then I think I will change. Usually a pretty good bet that if the company won't even talk about it... it probably has been decided against and they don't want to lose your sale... it is really up in the air...or it is a very long way away...
I just want sonos to integrate with homekit or brillo (so I can buy that one) and also with IFTTT. I feel a LOT of money could be made here (and also prevent apple or Google from sidestepping sonos and forcing their own speakers on us. (Apple especially could easily do this.)
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
HomeKit would be great!
Badge
Home kit would be great
Sonos works with Samsung's SmartThings platform which support IFTTT. You can set it up to be the speaker for your home automation or home security setup and it can be turned on and off from the SmartThings app. For example, I programmed all of my Christmas lights to come on at dusk and to play a little Christmas music when they come on. I would hope that would be a harbinger of their support for Brillo and HomeKit over time. If they don't, they could get boxed out of the Kitchen or other peripheral locations in the home by other speaker solutions in the future like Alexa and Google's coming's home automation assistant. Frankly, the future of home control is moving from app control to Voice control and Sonos might want to place a microphone in the next generation of the Play 1 along with supporting these new home automation protocols or feel the impact.
You may have missed the announcement, but the Sonos CEO recently stated on the company blog that Voice Control and integration is a top priority going forward:

http://blog.sonos.com/news/industry-in-transition-invest-in-future
I just read that...since I am new to the support community I posted before seeing some of the other threads. I also read that there are 2 microphones in the new play 5...excellent news. Seems we have some waiting to do but hopefully they will make quick progress. In the mean time I am getting an Alexa and Dot and will use some of the work around's to leverage what I already have.
Adding my 2 cents that homekit integration is a must have. I see how the echo voice control works and think, if my Sonos system could only do that, it would be perfect.
Adding my 2 cents that homekit integration is a must have. I see how the echo voice control works and think, if my Sonos system could only do that, it would be perfect.

Sonos is currently integrating Alexa. It soon will be "perfect". HomeKit is far behind Amazon, and only integrates with iOS devices. Fail.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Is it certain that Sonos is integrating Alexa?
Is it certain that Sonos is integrating Alexa?

Yes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontilley/2016/08/30/sonos-is-moving-into-voice-control-with-amazon-alexa-partnership/#214f33e52979
Userlevel 3
Badge
Thanks for the link to the article. Not sure how I missed the announcement. Have only just preordered an Echo and Dot and this makes me very happy!
There was a tweet from cedia that suggests Sonos is partnering with a number of home automation services. Don't recall seeing this anywhere else, which is odd so I presume I've just missed it:

Take a look at @Sonos's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Sonos/status/776515716476395520?s=09
You missed it. Was in the press release.
http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
That would explain it, I never actually bothered to read the press release. Surprised that part hasn't been discussed more?
Yes, it's pretty significant. Doesn't have quite the glamour of voice control, I suppose.
So perhaps there's hope for HomeKit integration through the Lurton Cassetta bridge? It is HomeKit compatible and Lurton is listed in the Twitter partnership announcement.. it would be awesome to have Sonos/HomeKit integration. I'm ready to expand my Sonos system with the home theater setup, but am also invested in HomeKit and love the (so far) ease of integration and use, so for now I wait.
Userlevel 2
+1 for HomeKit integration - please and thank you!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings