Question

HomeKit

• 14 September 2016
  • 53 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Will sonos be partnering with HomeKit like they have done with amazon???????????

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Only you can answer that question. Sonos has stated they are open to working with any home automation system, and have a published API for this very purpose. I'm not sure how much more they can do, it seems asking Apple if they plan to integrate with this API is your next step.
Badge
If they published their API it's because they don't want to venture down that road themselves, also i can say i'm willing to do anything, however actually doing it is somewhat different. there are only a few really big players and them not expressing specifically that they will integrate within this one means that they're waiting for something...not sure exactly what, but the fact that they're waiting means that it's not an obvious decision to them or they're holding out for something or they've chosen a path that will never include them.

I'm just trying to figure out which one of these is the truth, because if they've chosen the path to never include them they will never come out and say it for obvious reasons.
If they've chosen not to, I highly doubt they would say the exact opposite in their biggest press release in years. And publishing an API is most certainly NOT an unwillingness to do it themselves. If they were unwilling to do it, they wouldn't waste the man hours of writing and maintaining an API. They certainly can't do Apple's side of the project, so publishing an API is standard practice for any and all devices wishing to be controlled by 3rd parties. For years 3rd parties have complained about Sonos' unwillingness to publish an API, and now that they have, it's evidence of unwillingness to work with others? Seriously? You'd think you'd take it as encouraging, but there seems to be more going on with your post. Oh well, just trying to help.

should i keep investing in a product that i am not sure will meet my wants and needs???

No, I'm with you. Apple just doesn't seem to have much of a future without Jobs, just like the first time he left. I sure won't be investing in their ecosystem; Amazon and Google are way out front, and Alexa/Sonos integration is due soon.

should i keep investing in a product that i am not sure will meet my wants and needs???

No, I don't see much of a future for Apple without Jobs. I sure won't be investing in HomeKit either.

Amazon and Google are far ahead in this race, with Amazon being the obvious choice for Sonos owners.
Badge
Not quite sure i understand with "more going on with your post"?? like what? it's not like i'm trying to convert Sonos into a bread making factory! That reference is as odd as yours!

For now i'll try and integrate it into the Lutron app with my lights and shades but it leaves my ecobee3 thermostat out since it's not supported by Lutron but it is by Homekit...so you can see my dilemma where i'm trying to incorporate all these devices into 1 app but so far either i have to compromise quality or convenience, either way you'd think that in this day in age where technology is moving at light speed they can't just make it work.
Alexa works with Lutron and Ecobee, and soon, Sonos.
Personally, if I were looking to automate my home, I'd pick the voice control hub which is in the forefront of voice control technology and has a history of accommodating the systems I use, rather than the one who makes my phone, but has a history of being closed off and proprietary. Like chicks alludes to, you may wish to look into Amazon if Sonos integration is important to you.
I guess Sonos isn't great in communicating future plans. Could the lack of HomeKit integration have to do with the same issue WeMo is running into with HomeKit integration?

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=187953
Userlevel 2
Could the lack of HomeKit integration have to do with the same issue WeMo is running into with HomeKit integration?

Basically yes. Because HomeKit was built to be secure from the start (quite unlike things like bluetooth door locks) it involves a small hardware component which means that your existing Sonos gear can't be firmware upgraded to have HomeKit support. However, I don't see this as a problem that's unsolvable, in the way that Belkin seems to say it is. Philips solved it by changing only the bridge device from the old model, to a new one with HomeKit support.

Similarly, Belkin, if they really wanted, could produce a HomeKit bridge device, which then relayed the HomeKit commands to their legacy devices. All new switches could be sold with HomeKit built in, so you'd only need the bridge if you already had a bunch of legacy devices. That *is* possible, but Belkin doesn't want to do it, so they tell you something true, while omitting the fairly cheap workaround.

There's no reason why Sonos couldn't do the same thing. Either a new version of the Boost, or another bridge device entirely COULD be produced, which just plugs into the wall and provides HomeKit (and therefore Siri) integration to your existing Sonos setup.

Home automation ecosystems take a long time to develop to the point of ubiquity. Sonos got in early, and they're really enjoying the fruits of being the default multi-room wireless audio choice in the market. I think the seriousness with which Apple is approaching HomeKit reveals that they're in it for the long haul. Apple's customers are also far more statistically likely to invest more money in ecosystem products, unlike Android customers, which means that HomeKit is a good bet for the long-term future of home automation.

For this reason, I wouldn't rule out HomeKit support for Sonos in future, but it won't be soon, because for a relatively small company, bringing out a new device requires a significant investment, and they won't do it until they think they can sell truckloads of them.

But if they're reading this, they should definitely be doodling on napkins, because integration is 'sticky' (to use a marketing term). People LOVE all their stuff working nicely together and it has a lot of wow factor which leads to word of mouth sales. A small 'HomeKit Bridge for Sonos' would allow them to leverage Siri which is in the hands (and on the wrists) of mobile users with the highest disposable income. That's not to be dismissed.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I`m an Apple user and my house is all HomeKit enabled. I`m just waiting for Sonos to create maybe a new bridge for that, I hope they will do the integration !!!!
I, too, have that hope, but it's likely dependent on whether Apple approaches them, since it would take work on both sides of the fence. And unfortunately, it won't be sooner than later, since they haven't finished the Amazon integration yet, which is probably the long pole in the process. They need to figure out how it works first, then porting it over to other systems would be a little bit more easy, I expect. Not a guaranty, mind you, but at least a significant portion of the concept design would be completed, and a model to compare against would exist.
Board burp, caused duplicate post. Sorry!
Userlevel 2
Badge
I`m not disagreeing with you but If look at other companies like Phillips Hue, they do support Apple Homekit, Nest, Amazon and IFTT. There is no point in my opinion that SONOS don`t do the same.
It's entirely possible that they're working on it. We won't know if they are until Sonos releases it, since Sonos usually doesn't talk about what they're cooking up. But my impression is that of all the home automation companies that are out there, Apple is the most challenging, and probably least flexible. When you're the 900 pound gorilla on the block, you don't need to be all that flexible. I think that is why there have been such great advances by others in that marketplace. They're less rigid, and more amenable to working with others. I don't hate Apple, I've got many of their devices in my stable. But they do have a history of "my way, or the highway" in their DNA.
I think the announcement of HomePod yesterday kills the possiblity of HomeKit intergration.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I think the announcement of HomePod yesterday kills the possiblity of HomeKit intergration.
I think the announcement of "Speakers" as a category in HomeKit means Sonos now has no excuse but to add compatibility for it.
If only it was up to Sonos as a company individually to add it, without requiring any cooperation from Apple. But I don't think it works that way, to my way of thinking it requires cooperation on both sides.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
If only it was up to Sonos as a company individually to add it, without requiring any cooperation from Apple. But I don't think it works that way, to my way of thinking it requires cooperation on both sides.
You don't think the ball is in Sonos' court? Did you see the list of supported companies in the Keynote? Sonos was absent, then later used as the example for a "dumb" speaker.

Apple took a shot at Sonos so clearly they haven't been playing very nice, meanwhile, a whole lot of other companies have.
No, I actually don't. My expectation is that Sonos has expressed the desire to work closely with any company who wants to contribute to the process, and Amazon happened to be the first one who did. I expect that Apple had this up their sleeves, and decided not to dedicate the resources.

And yes, I watched the reveal, and the list of companies. What I saw there were only speaker companies, not aggregators like Sonos is. But I have to admit I didn't spend a lot of time looking as the list, other than noting a few of the larger companies who already have Airplay agreements with Apple.

And believe me, I'm not knocking Apple on this either. I want to know how the system is going to work before I can even begin to form an opinion, but my guess is that it won't be supporting anything other than Apple Music (no Spotify, no Pandora no Amazon, no Deezer, no Google, etc).

However, if it can take anything currently playing on the xOS platform and send it to the speaker, including app sounds, then it's going to be a challenge for Sonos. It will become de facto computer speakers, and we will see a greater litany of complaints here. My thought while watching yesterday was "will it work with my iTunes, or is it only Apple Music (which I don't have a subscription to)?

So I'm reserving judgement until I know more about the system. It does look sexy as hell, to be sure, but I don't think I'll be anxious to quickly replace the 16 Sonos products I already own, much less the 3 Amazon/Echo/Alexa devices.

But they haven't come out with a Sub, or a Playbar yet, and its really unclear if a stereo pair is really stereo, or just sounds better. Sonos has a lot of things going for it. This may cut in to some of their revenue, for sure, especially if they can be linked as easily as AirPods can. But you'll still need a good wifi network and signal 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Bruce hit on something big here. HomePod is NOT a viable replacement for a Sonos system. You can put one anywhere in your house and Apple will support multi-room for the HomePod, but Sonos devices take so many sizes and shapes. I'm not going to replace my 5.1 system with a couple of HomePods. The HomePods don't connect to a television. I'm not going to replace my Play:5 with a Apple speaker. The Apple Speaker doesn't sound as good.

Simply put, there's really no robust solution that can replace Sonos via Apple. And that's not even considering the fact that HomePod only supports Apple Music while Sonos supports ALMOST everything.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Lots of good points. But HomePod seems to do the one thing I think is great about Sonos: it streams directly to the device, not via your phone or computer. That's gonna give Sonos a run for their money.

It also does a lot of things that Sonos can't do.

Finally, if the HomePod is successful, you can bet it will eventually come in other shapes and sizes.

If Sonos doesn't start to step up, this could be the beginning of the end for Sonos. (A dire sentiment, but a plausible one.)
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I don't run Sonos, but if I did, I would do whatever I could to get on stage at Google I/O or a Google product launch as a launch partner for a Google service. If Sonos could position itself as the premium android speaker option, they could be a true viable competitor to Apple's offering.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
But I'm an Apple fan AND a Sonos fan. I'd prefer if they stayed agnostic but offered great support for many services/integrations/etc.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I don't run Sonos, but if I did, I would do whatever I could to get on stage at Google I/O or a Google product launch as a launch partner for a Google service. If Sonos could position itself as the premium android speaker option, they could be a true viable competitor to Apple's offering.

Premium and Android don't gel. Especially of you look at longevity of the Sonos speakers (not to speak about their penchant to keep your information). See the list of Apple phones that TruePlay supports - it starts from the 4s!!! Which Android Phone from that era still survives in functional mode today?
NO ONE does true multi room and true wireless like Sonos

Check this link to read on the Apple solution https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/5/15740944/apple-homepod-speaker-photos-video-hands-on-wwdc-2017.