Answered

Help with my setup ... two houses, VPN, one library

• 23 June 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi All  - Over the years, my system has grown organically, and while I’ve tried to keep it in control, I’m afraid it’s gotten out of hand … and i need some guidance on how to reign it in. 

I have two locations, we’ll call them OP and NYC. Both locations have a similar network design with Unifi equipment deployed. OP uses Optimum cable (400) and NYC uses FiOS (gigabit). In both locations, I have three zone players, two Play 1s and one Play 5. 

Until recently, these sites were independent from a network point of view, each with a library on a local computer at each site. This worked OK, except the OP computer was getting old and it was very hard to keep the libraries in sync. 

In order to address this, I got a Synology NAS in NYC and moved 9000 music files to the server and I configured site to site VPN between the sites using the Unifi Security Gateway device (USG) on both sides. Each site can ping the other site no problem. 

I would like to achieve the following if possible: treat the system as ONE system across VPN with all 12 devices “linked” the NAS. Do I have to start from scratch to achieve this? Also, now when I’m in NYC, I only see the OP devices. Any thoughts on that? 

Looking forward to hearing the best way forward. Thanks!

Dave

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 25 June 2020, 17:40

Hi @dcpugh.
Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

>You can share your music files to Sonos using a NAS drive, but using a VPN configuration is not a supported set up by Sonos.
>Please refer to this article for Sonos system requirements.
>You cannot treat two systems as one because they are connected on different networks and the Sonos system cannot be linked in the NAS.

I hope that I was able to address your concern, and if you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out. 

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi @dcpugh.
Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

>You can share your music files to Sonos using a NAS drive, but using a VPN configuration is not a supported set up by Sonos.
>Please refer to this article for Sonos system requirements.
>You cannot treat two systems as one because they are connected on different networks and the Sonos system cannot be linked in the NAS.

I hope that I was able to address your concern, and if you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out.