Answered

Help with my Play:5 Gen 2 WiFi Setup

• 16 September 2020
  • 7 replies

Good evening everyone.

This is my first post on here, I’m just looking for some advice as I really don’t know what to do.

I purchased a refurbished Sonos Play:5 Gen 2 and it arrived today. I unpackaged it and set it up in the Sonos app, everything looked great, or so I thought. After playing music for a couple of minutes, the speaker cut off and lost WiFi connectivity, the app stated no connection could be made. I left it for a good 10 minutes, restarted the speaker but nothing worked. 

I then tried a factory reset, and I went to set the speaker up in the app again. This is where the issues start. The speaker will not connect to WiFi, no matter what I do. The setup always says this ‘An unexpected error occurred’ when trying to connect to WiFi. This is on an iPhone XR. Things I have tried:

• Several factory resets
  • Changing my router
  • Power cycling the machine
  • Disabling/enabling various settings on my router (Belkin D7000v2)
  • Setting up using Ethernet. While this did work, I could still not get the speaker to connect to WiFi using advanced setup. It kept telling me the password was wrong when it clearly wasn’t.
  • Using an android device to set it up.
  • Deleting the App, and trying both versions with the same result.
  • Tried setup on an iPad and iPhone.
  • Setting up a hotspot on my phone and trying to set the speaker up using that. Won’t connect to that either.

I really am at a loss and I just don’t know what to do. The most frustrating thing is that the speaker connected fine the first time and the initial set up was fine! But as soon as it disconnected that first time, it will not reconnect to WiFi no matter what I do.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by thomasd221 17 September 2020, 16:16

Hi @Paul A 

Diagnostic number is: 2142894734

I have been in touch with Sonos support and they’ve determined it’s faulty so fingers crossed I will be able to get a replacement.

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @thomasd221.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out with a detailed description of what was done and what router make and model you have. Appreciate it a lot since based on the details you have done almost all of the basic troubleshooting steps but to no avail.

Thanks for mentioning that you have enabled/disabled various settings on the router which gave the details that you have access to your router settings via the router GUI. Based on our internal articles, Belkin router comes fresh out of the box with a radio signal of 802.11n. Can we change this to 802.11 b/g/n as this is the one possible way of prohibiting your Sonos from going wireless connectivity? I would also like to suggest submitting a diagnostic so we can check as well the wireless card of your Sonos Play 5.

Please let us know how it goes. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hello! @Paul A 

Thank you for the reply. The wireless is already set to b/g/n on the 2.4GHz network which I am trying to connect to.

How would I go about submitting a diagnostic as I can’t get past the setup of the app? I feel like there’s a hardware issue somewhere here, but that doesn’t make sense since it connected literally just before all this.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @thomasd221.

Thanks for the immediate and detailed response.

I would suggest connecting via ethernet cable your Sonos Play 5 first directly to the router (ethernet cable first before power) then once the Sonos Play 5 has a solid white light, Open the Sonos app. Submitting a diagnostic is as follows.  Go to settings » help and tips » submit diagnostic. Make sure the Sonos Play 5 is showing on the Sonos App (rooms bottom middle portion) before submitting a diagnostic.

Thanks,

@Paul A 

Thank you! When I get back from work tomorrow morning I’ll try submitting a diagnostic. How long will it take to get a response from it?

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @thomasd221.

Thanks for the response.

Once a diagnostic has been submitted please take note of the confirmation number and reply here. I’ll check and send a reply here once I am able to. Best suggestion, if it would work when wired to the router, keep the connection as if until my response so we can check or you can always contact our technical support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting step or possible product replacement.

Thanks,

Hi @Paul A 

Diagnostic number is: 2142894734

I have been in touch with Sonos support and they’ve determined it’s faulty so fingers crossed I will be able to get a replacement.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @thomasd221.

Thanks for the immediate response and for submitting a diagnostic and for doing the extra effort in contacting the technical support team.

Based on the provided diagnostic, the Sonos Play 5 gen 2 does have a busted wireless card.  It was a good move of contacting the technical support team ahead since they are were accurate about the findings and they have the necessary tools to request a product replacement. 

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns.  You may also create another topic for any other issues or questions you may have. We are always here to help.

Thanks,