HATE SONOS- Worst System EVER.

• 30 August 2020
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 2

First of all, when you call for support and the wait is 45 minutes each time means that you aren’t the only one having problems; you just don’t hear about 90% of them because people don’t wanna waste their time typing up complaints. 

I have personally spoken with 3 other people, none of which know each other and they all hate sonos and say it’s the worst product ever.

Customer service reads from cue cards and never understand what I need. The instructions online… horribly written. 

I was told that Sonos was perfect for syncing up music in multiple rooms for my event business. I have 2 separate 1 gig WiFi systems set up to support 15 TVs, 15 streaming devices, cameras, nests and WiFi, plus guest access ALL GOING at the SAME TIME. When I look at how much bandwidth is actually being used at any given time, it’s not even a 20%. 

Problems:

1. Every 10 to 30 minutes the speakers lose connection and stop playing.
  2. Takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes to reconnect
  3. App goes gray and flashes… sometimes the app actually opens and it will say unable to connect
  4. Other times, it says it cannot find the Sonos on the network 
  5. WHY cant we change WiFi choice from app… WTF? Why would it not be a simple choice to change on the app? Makes NO sense. 
  6. Am told over and over that my ONLY solution is to hardwire the speakers. THAT IS NOT A SOLUTION… why can’t your people understand that?? So I’m expected to run a long wire through the middle of my event space because your speakers only work through internet? 
  7. NO BLUETOOTH OPTION… EVEN A BIGGER WTF! At least if I have Bluetooth, I could play music continuously if the Wi-Fi drops. Absolutely ridiculous that this is not an option.

I will be getting rid of these HORRIBLE THINGS… along with your horrible service.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT EVER

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

'Two wifi systems' rings alarm bells. Are all Sonos devices on same subnet? They need to be.

You only have to wire ONE Sonos speaker to make Sonos use its own mesh. Would be worth trying. 

Userlevel 2

Uffff… yes. My phone is on the same WiFi as the sonos And the app… I’ve only been through this entire process 3 times with customer service and the conclusion… the only way it’s ever going to stopping dropping the network is to hardwire it. What’s the point of spending a thousand dollars on something that won’t function the way I was told it would. 

The whole reason we got a second WiFi was for Sonos, so we could take everything off of that one WiFi and only have Sonos, since it’s virtually impossible to change the the WiFi selection on the speaker… once again, who makes it to where you can just disconnect one WiFi and add a new one with simplicity. Oh wait… Bose and JBL does that! 

Why use a mesh? When Sonos has its very on WiFi and entire gig to itself?

Look. I am trying to help here. I have used Sonos for 9 years without a hitch. Sonos was designed to operate with one device wired so that its proprietary mesh network handles traffic between Sonos devices. You don't need a second WiFi network. 

Somebody before now should have suggested wiring one speaker to the router. Please just try it. You don't have to choose any WiFi then.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

At last someone else using the forum to put Sonos!!

it won’t be long before a moderator takes this down. 
I have the same issues and I’ve spent 18 months dealing with the automatons in the yelp desk, good luck gurl!

Back again then @P1553d off ?  I have only ever seen posts taken down for clearly breaking the Forum rules, such as persistent use of foul language or personal abuse.  Not for being critical of Sonos. If that were the case, none of your previous posts would survive, yet they do (rightly, as you are entitled to your opinion).

Deleted

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Re #5 I agree that it isn't ideal that it isn't easy to switch wifi networks. You should be able to do this for convenience. With the Move didn't they bake this into the app? You don't reset the move every time you move it.

Regarding hardwiring your devices, can you hardwire at least one of them? I get you feel that you shouldn't have to, but if you want to fix it it is worth a try. Do this and you may find they are more stable and you can return your new wifi hardware saving you money. 

I agree with what @Bumper says, but would like to emphasise that Sonos was designed to run on its own mesh network, SonosNet. For that to happen,  a Sonos device must be wired to the router. This is not a workaround or compromise. There are good technical reasons why this is better than using WiFi in many cases.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I agree with what @Bumper says, but would like to emphasise that Sonos was designed to run on its own mesh network, SonosNet. For that to happen,  a Sonos device must be wired to the router. This is not a workaround or compromise. There are good technical reasons why this is better than using WiFi in many cases.

Yeah that's a good point about Sonosnet not being a compromise. Using Sonos in wifi mode is a compromise to sonosnet, use the better solution, be happy. Or don't and be angry 🤷‍♀️

Or if you can't wire a speaker return your second wifi hardware and buy a Boost. Sonos has a good return policy so there's no risk if it doesn't work for you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

First of all, when you call for support and the wait is 45 minutes each time means that you aren’t the only one having problems; you just don’t hear about 90% of them because people don’t wanna waste their time typing up complaints. 

I have personally spoken with 3 other people, none of which know each other and they all hate sonos and say it’s the worst product ever.

Customer service reads from cue cards and never understand what I need. The instructions online… horribly written. 

I was told that Sonos was perfect for syncing up music in multiple rooms for my event business. I have 2 separate 1 gig WiFi systems set up to support 15 TVs, 15 streaming devices, cameras, nests and WiFi, plus guest access ALL GOING at the SAME TIME. When I look at how much bandwidth is actually being used at any given time, it’s not even a 20%. 

Problems:

1. Every 10 to 30 minutes the speakers lose connection and stop playing.
  2. Takes anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes to reconnect
  3. App goes gray and flashes… sometimes the app actually opens and it will say unable to connect
  4. Other times, it says it cannot find the Sonos on the network 
  5. WHY cant we change WiFi choice from app… WTF? Why would it not be a simple choice to change on the app? Makes NO sense. 
  6. Am told over and over that my ONLY solution is to hardwire the speakers. THAT IS NOT A SOLUTION… why can’t your people understand that?? So I’m expected to run a long wire through the middle of my event space because your speakers only work through internet? 
  7. NO BLUETOOTH OPTION… EVEN A BIGGER WTF! At least if I have Bluetooth, I could play music continuously if the Wi-Fi drops. Absolutely ridiculous that this is not an option.

I will be getting rid of these HORRIBLE THINGS… along with your horrible service.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT EVER

It’s your Wi-Fi. Consider decaf. 

I had such high hopes for this system. It arrived yesterday, and despite what the instructions say, it will take about an hour to set up, because it is extremely bitchy about locations and wifi protocols it will accept. I downloaded app, set up the Google home app, set up “Trusound” or whatever it is. It worked for a few hours. When I was about to go to bed, I said, “Google what time is it?” and it would only respond “I can’t connect to the internet right now….” I checked internet connection (worked on my phone and laptop), so I unplugged both units and they’ll be going back tomorrow morning.

If I wanted a ****** in my home, I would have invited Mitch McConnell over for dinner.

Moderator: removed language contrary to Terms and Conditions for use in this forum

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Well I don’t disagree on Mitch McConnell but otherwise you are all over the map.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I feel your pain, at least you found out early. 
I've wasted so much time and money on this equipment. My last conversation with Sonos support ended with them telling me my expectations were too high and that my set up will never work as my home isn’t a pristine environment, I ** you not. 

Moderator: removed language contrary to AT&T for use in this forum

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

All over the map ?

I feel your pain, at least you found out early. 
I've wasted so much time and money on this equipment. My last conversation with Sonos support ended with them telling me my expectations were too high and that my set up will never work as my home isn’t a pristine environment, I ** you not. 

I’m checking out a JBL wireless system - it will arrive tomorrow - it’s about half the price of a Sonos (on sale for $98) and reviews say the sound is excellent, plus you can remove it from the charger base and take it with you. It also has built in bluetooth. I’ll let you know how it goes. So disappointed to find out that owning a Sonos is like having someone around your house who does nothing more than annoy the ** out of you…..

Moderator: removed language contrary to Terms and Conditions for use in this forum

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks. 
I also struggle with Sonos abdicating responsibility and using these forums to cover their shortfalls  

My only gift is that I know when to cut and run when it comes to technology: it was a bummer to set up, and then stopped working by the end of the night. It’s bad enough that it didn’t work “out of the box” and required almost an hour to work properly - that was the limit of my time investment. Away they go: NEXT!

Take care!  Brush your hair!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

what have you got for sale,

i’ll give you £100 for the lot especially as it’s “**”

what have you got for sale,

i’ll give you £100 for the lot especially as it’s “crap”

I only take bitcoin, and they’re on their way back to the dealer. The next ** can deal with the crapola that is part and parcel of their “operational capabilities.”

The JBL Link Portable arrived today; it literally took 5 minutes to set up: plug it in, press the “reset” button and run Google Home and it was ready to go. It sounds great, half the price of the Sonos ONE, and I can lift it out of the base and play it anywhere I want.

I’m ordering a second one for my bedroom.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Man….Ive had multiple wireless speaker systems in my time, and I was given a Sonos Play One as a gift, and I have since removed all the others, and replaced them with Sonos. Been a couple years now without issues. 

Worst system and worst decision for me to buy Sonos system. The wifi connection isn’t good. The sonos app keeps closing by itself. Verdict, go with anything but Sonos. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Did you think about adding the Boost to your Sonos setup? I have several Sonos throughout my house. It’s on my Wifi which I do occasionally have issues (drop outs, loose connection). It can be a little frustrating at times. But I am 100% happy with my set up. 
I am considering buying a Boost to run my Sonos separately from others using the wifi in the house. I’m also considering running Ethernet and switches to all my Sonos products so I wouldn’t have anymore issues with Wifi.

The caveat here is SonosNet, created by the BOOST, or any other Sonos speaker wired to your router, is just a separate wifi network. It is subject to both wifi interference and duplicate IP address issues. It’s not a silver bullet, but it does remove the bandwidth usage from your own wifi. I use it, and am quite pleased with the mesh aspect of SonosNet.