Answered

Hardwired but "network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer"

• 25 February 2018
  • 5 replies

My Sonos is hardwired into my computer. Recently it loads my lossless flac files from Windows Music Player (Music Library on Sonos) very slowly (if at all), and stops and/or skips around and then stops completely saying "network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer." I am hardwired into the computer.

I am unable to use my mouse. I cannot close Sonos. I cannot use any other programs on my computer. Diagnostics number 1864007032

I fixed this latest problem by connecting an Ethernet cable between my Sonos and my wireless router.

My new problem is I have a wireless speaker that requires hardwiring into my computer as well as my wireless router. I am disappointed with the Sonos Play 5 usability. Sounds good if it works. I have only one Play 5 plugged into my computer and I don't use any gadgets or devices besides Windows Media Player (Windows 7).
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 25 February 2018, 03:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
3.5mm cable; the only line in the Sonos Play 5 offers.

I thought that was what you meant. From what you've provided I can't see that a buffering problem on your computer has anything to do with your Sonos Play 5. Especially since you say music played on it is through a 3.5mm cable from your computer to the Play 5.

If you are having problems when using the Sonos App via Wi-Fi the first place to look is your network (i.e. IP Address conflict, channel congestion, interference from other wireless etc.). Connecting an Ethernet cable_Sonos Play 5 to router_is to establish Boost mode which is generally more stable than a W-Fi setup. It is under those conditions_Wi-Fi or Boost setup_that you would want to submit a diagnostic. Ironically, the diagnostic could prove a faulty speaker. 😞

To be clear I'm not saying that a diagnostic would not detect a buffering issue but it stills goes back to your network connection and possibly your ISP.

It will be interesting to see what Sonos has to say regarding your diagmostics.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Thanks for your commentary AjTrek. I am under the impression that a wireless connection, and perhaps an Internet connection is necessary for the Sonos hardware to work properly, even if it is only used as a wired computer speaker. I had issues transmitting my flac files from my computer using just the wifi, which is why I used the line in from my computer.

Hi nathanwrightsman

The internet connection is used to update your Sonos and/or accommodate one of the supported streaming services via the Sonos App.

Here's a link on Wi-Fi (Standard) setup and Boost setup. Boost is the better of the two: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos

Just for kicks and grins :D_ here's a link on Sonos audio formats: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/80/~/supported-audio-formats

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Hi nathanwrightsman

OK. Please explain. How is your Sonos hardwired into your computer? By what means?
3.5mm cable; the only line in the Sonos Play 5 offers.
Thanks for your commentary AjTrek. I am under the impression that a wireless connection, and perhaps an Internet connection is necessary for the Sonos hardware to work properly, even if it is only used as a wired computer speaker. I had issues transmitting my flac files from my computer using just the wifi, which is why I used the line in from my computer.