Grouped rooms - Issue

• 4 December 2013
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2
Hello!

I have 3 rooms grouped together. In one of the rooms (Play:1, The toilet), I loose power to my Sonos every time I turn off the lights.
I was hoping it would start playing again once lights were turned on but I can`t find anything about "autoplay" or similar in options.

Obviously I have to group this room up again with the others every time the lights has been turned off and its kinda...irritating--:rolleyes: ...espescially on beer-nights where this light goes on and of quite often...

If this isnt gonna work out as I planned Im afraid I bought one Sonos too many, since I never play music "in-here-only". I just wanted the feeling that my whole house was full of music all the time(:

Any tips is much appreciated, thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

It sounds like you have it plugged into a switched outlet. Often times only one receptacle on the outlet is switched. Try plugging it into the other receptacle. If that doesn't work, you can get an electrician to wire the outlet properly.
Userlevel 2
It sounds like you have it plugged into a switched outlet. Often times only one receptacle on the outlet is switched. Try plugging it into the other receptacle. If that doesn't work, you can get an electrician to wire the outlet properly.

Yes that is correct.
I have 1 lightswitch in this room and the light situated to this switch has 1 outlet only.
so, are you saying I need an electrician to make this work?

The Play:1 in this room automatically appears back in the sonos-app when I turn on the light again but it has been de-selected from the room-groupings...I find it hard to belive that a clever system like this has no separate settings like this? like auto-group or auto-start/play?

anyway, thank you for the respond
Userlevel 2
Sonos devices are designed to be plugged in and left running all the time, as you know, so I'm sure the designers didn't think it was too important to have auto-group/play functionality. I guess they figure it is like setting the time on your stove -- you just do it once in a while.

I would recommend getting an electrician to convert the outlet.
Userlevel 2
Sonos devices are designed to be plugged in and left running all the time, as you know, so I'm sure the designers didn't think it was too important to have auto-group/play functionality. I guess they figure it is like setting the time on your stove -- you just do it once in a while.

I would recommend getting an electrician to convert the outlet.

yes I see...thats sad..
I do understand that this is how they programmed it to work, but I dont understand why theres not an update coming with these options included.
shouldnt be to much work in a "world of updates" that this has come to be.

too much buzz to get an electrician for this only..guess I just return it to store..

thanks anyway
I dont understand why theres not an update coming with these options included.
Perhaps because it's not a high enough priority requirement? Sonos development resources are finite.

In the meantime how about trying a UPS with enough capacity to sustain the Play:1 between toilet visits on party nights. 😃
Userlevel 2
Perhaps because it's not a high enough priority requirement? Sonos development resources are finite.

In the meantime how about trying a UPS with enough capacity to sustain the Play:1 between toilet visits on party nights. :D

Hello Ratty

I cannot understand how this is not one of the things people have been asking for🆒

f.ex a lot of people, me included, have radio or something running in the background all day while they clean their house (I don`t) or whatever they do..
When they step outside or go to work they cut the power for safety.
When they come home, turning power back on the music should start again automatically, if they want to set that option..
I mean, its so easy but still feels really fancy..?

I donno, its just a little bit irritating:)

Thanks for the tip by the way, gonna do a little thinking before i return it.
I cannot understand how this is not one of the things people have been asking for🆒.
IIRC it has been asked for. But then people ask for all kinds of things.

Sonos will obviously rank their development priorities to take account of where they can generate revenue. Presumably this feature hasn't yet made the cut.
Userlevel 2
IIRC it has been asked for. But then people ask for all kinds of things.

Sonos will obviously rank their development priorities to take account of where they can generate revenue. Presumably this feature hasn't yet made the cut.

I understand

when they count customer-requierment-votes, they should count votes for every Sonos device the customer have...that way I could have 12 votes on the subject...:D
Am I really the only person who moves a Sonos speaker from one room to another or outside on the terrace.
Autogrouping should not really be difficult to achieve.
Let's have this please

My three Sonosses (Soni?) are always plugged in and running all the time, but they still need regrouping every day. And when I do my daily regroup, it usually takes three to five attempts before the grouping sticks. The first couple of tries the group falls apart immediately after creating. Which really disrupts the "easily play any music anywhere" thing that got me using Sonos in the first place.
My three Sonosses (Soni?) are always plugged in and running all the time, but they still need regrouping every day. And when I do my daily regroup, it usually takes three to five attempts before the grouping sticks. The first couple of tries the group falls apart immediately after creating. Which really disrupts the "easily play any music anywhere" thing that got me using Sonos in the first place.
You have network problems. Submit a system diagnostic and post the number.