Grill or some kind of covering for Sub Gen 3?

• 8 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Got the full Sonos home theater (Arc, Sub, One’s) but...have a potential problem with the Sub.  I have two VERY inquisitive and playful cats...who are starting to play in the Sub’s hole--I’m scared they are going to put a hole in or rip the speakers.  Are there any kind of grill coverings I can get for the sub, or other ideas, to keep their paws out of the insides?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Can you scare them out with a blast of very loud, very bass-heavy music?

(This might be considered cruel and is not a serious suggestion 😜)

I have had dogs at home since 1997, and I am entitled to say therefore that one can carry this no cruelty to animals too far. 

I don't see that the suggestion is particularly cruel, but it may not be a permanent solution. A cloth cover that is loose fitting keeps the dust out of my Sub without affecting performance and a similar cover should serve for this purpose.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The covers or a home-made cover really is the best solution. For your home made one you could even use cheesecloth or a mesh material that wouldn’t hide the computer.

If you just want to cover the holes make a matched pair of covers using acoustically transparent material in a stiff frame and hook them together through the Sonos center hole with a rubber band or light spring.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Can you scare them out with a blast of very loud, very bass-heavy music?

(This might be considered cruel and is not a serious suggestion 😜)

What @GuitarSuperstar suggested is acoustically neutral; anything else just trying to cover the hole is likely to have an effect on the sound. And you do need free movement of air for a good bass sound. 

Thanks, but, I didn’t want to cover up the whole thing, just to cover the hole.

Userlevel 7

You could get a “skin” to cover the Sub like this:

https://soundskins.com/product-category/sub/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F6FZDXV/