Question

Getting fed up with Sonos

• 28 August 2020
  • 5 replies

I’ve spent hundreds of pounds on four Sonos Ones and a playbar and I’ve just about had enough.

The whole point of this system is it’s wireless. That’s why I invested in it. But it just doesn’t work.

Not one day passes without a problem. It’s either speakers stopping, Alexa not recognising, WiFi not being found, won’t start, won’t stop etc. etc.

I’m fed up having to reboot the Router, waste time finding a lost speaker and all the other time consuming activities that seem to be acceptable as the price of owning Sonos.

To add insult to injury I keep getting emails asking if I’d like to write a review. It would never be published if I did!

Rant over as there’s no solution but to stick with what to me is a very inferior system with far to many failure points which can always be be blamed away to deflect responsibility.

5 replies

I’m fed up having to reboot the Router, waste time finding a lost speaker and all the other time consuming activities that seem to be acceptable as the price of owning Sonos.

They aren’t. You have recurring network issues of some kind.

Rant over as there’s no solution but to stick with what to me is a very inferior system with far to many failure points which can always be be blamed away to deflect responsibility.

Have you submitted a system diagnostic and consulted Tech Support? That’s what it, and they, are there for.

Hi Ratty

Thanks for your reply.  I did submit a diagnostic and spoke to Tech Support about three weeks ago.  It sorted the various problems for different periods of time.  Some reappeared within 24 hours and others a couple of weeks later.

I’m working from home and I don’t really have the time to ring Support during the day and of course they’re not available during the evenings or weekends, which is crazy.

I’d suggest you keep on at Tech Support. If phoning is not convenient then submit a fresh diagnostic and post the number here

Assuming you have a simple network -- no multiple routers, meshed WiFis or extenders -- then beyond the usual culprits -- wireless range/interference or local network addressing faults -- the problems can be quite hard to diagnose by us fellow users, as we have no access to diagnostics.

If you did want to share what troubleshooting you have tried then maybe some of the users here can comment. Many of us have in the past scratched our heads over Sonos not behaving as it should, and consequently learned a fair bit along the way.

By the way if your system is totally wireless on your WiFi -- i.e. not running in ‘wired’/SonosNet mode, where at least one device is wired to the network -- then our advice will often be to try the SonosNet approach. Beyond a handful of players it tends to be much more predictable in terms of performance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

My best two suggestions are (as above) wire a main speaker (not Sub or surround) or add a Boost, not the old slow Bridge. Second assign static/reserved IP addresses for your Sonos devices using your router’s DHCP page.

Between the two they can make a huge difference in reliability. My setup happily survives updates and power flops and I haven’t had a music drop in recent memory.

Thank you both. I have one speaker wired in and I followed the instructions to assign a static IP address.

This is the nub of my complaint - I’ve done some major stuff and still get issues.