Gave up on Sonos - Play 5 network card failure out of warranty

• 6 February 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge
I made the mistake and invested in multi room Sonos system comprises of play 5s and 1s. The two Play 5 speakers are configured in stereo mode in the living room installed over dedicated stands.

One of the Play 5 stopped connecting to the network. Sonos “generous” response (after exauhsting me with tons of checks, reports, etc etc) was to offer me a replacement for 400 Euros !!! They claimed they will send me the gen2 speaker. As I have a stereo pair and already invested in stands I just wanted to repair the faulty speaker. They responded that they cannot repair and were suggesting to replace both speakers for 1158 Euros.

I am soooooo upset. Seriously looking into returning the new Play1s and sell the other Play 5.

All I can say - Don’t buy Sonos !!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
To clarify - the Ethernet connection is not working as well (no lights blinking at the back at the RJ45 connectoors). My answer above was related to the ability to use the speaker as a wired active speaker via an audio cable. To my best knowledge this is also not possible. The speaker is 100% dead without the network connection.
Ah, OK, got it. It's completely dead. Sorry.

I'd be tempted to take a look on eBay, just in case there are any available. (All of my CONNECTs came from eBay, and they've been great.)
Badge
To clarify - the Ethernet connection is not working as well (no lights blinking at the back at the RJ45 connectoors). My answer above was related to the ability to use the speaker as a wired active speaker via an audio cable. To my best knowledge this is also not possible. The speaker is 100% dead without the network connection.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
In order to enable the wired audio connection there is a need to have a network connection and change a parameter via the app.
No, there isn’t.
Badge
I wish. No. In order to enable the wired audio connection there is a need to have a network connection and change a parameter via the app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Could you make use of the wired interface instead, either with a direct cable or with a WiFi to Ethernet device?