Full stereo option when watching TV audio ... please?

Userlevel 3
Ya know how we have the option for full stereo or ambient when listening to music in a full 5.1 sonos stet-up?  Can we get that with TV output as well, please?  There is still plenty of content that is stereo output on many internet streams and traditional media.  Having full stereo helps create an enveloping sound field when outputted via the playbar and the surrounds.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

131 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi glances. I'm happy to pass along a request to the team for you so they know there's still interest in this sort of unconventional setup. Since the topic was first posted, there is one way to get this full stereo working for some systems. If you're playing your TV source from something capable of AirPlay 2, to a Sonos Beam or Playbase, you can instead use AirPlay 2 to send the audio to your Beam/Playbase and the rest of the speakers in that room.

AirPlay 2 signals are played as music and not TV content, so if you have the surround settings to play full audio with music, it'll give you the surround stereo.
Userlevel 1
🙄
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi glances. I'm happy to pass along a request to the team for you so they know there's still interest in this sort of unconventional setup. Since the topic was first posted, there is one way to get this full stereo working for some systems. If you're playing your TV source from something capable of AirPlay 2, to a Sonos Beam or Playbase, you can instead use AirPlay 2 to send the audio to your Beam/Playbase and the rest of the speakers in that room.

AirPlay 2 signals are played as music and not TV content, so if you have the surround settings to play full audio with music, it'll give you the surround stereo.

Hi Ryan,
I really need this feature.
Do you have any news?
Thank you.
Camillo
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I would not call it: "sort of unconventional setup" .
this setup is supported by any home theater setup in the market.
only Sonos does not support it.
Thank you for your time
Camillo
Would you be so kind as to post which systems you know of that support this kind of feature? I'm looking for some speakers for my hard of hearing father.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey @camillo777, I don't have any news on the request to share. The AirPlay 2 option is still they only way to accomplish this.