Full stereo option when watching TV audio ... please?

Userlevel 3
Ya know how we have the option for full stereo or ambient when listening to music in a full 5.1 sonos stet-up?  Can we get that with TV output as well, please?  There is still plenty of content that is stereo output on many internet streams and traditional media.  Having full stereo helps create an enveloping sound field when outputted via the playbar and the surrounds.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

131 replies

Userlevel 2
Also want a full stereo option when watching TV....
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Me too but mainly when watching or listening to music channels on TV or music based smart TV content. There should be a 'music' button between 'speech enhancement' and 'night mode' that uses the 'full' or 'ambient' setting of the app
Userlevel 1
I want that too
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I want that too
I want, don't get
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Sounds good to me, please sonos make this an option.
Userlevel 2
I was just thinking about this while watching a football game the other day. Excellent feature request.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I posted a similar feature request recently but with slightly more options. How about 4 or 5 selectable user settings to allow for sub settings, surround and even perhaps we. They could be for listening to music, tv, movies sport etc. it would make the listening experience so much better.
Userlevel 1
Add me to the list as well.  I would love to be able to play full stereo sound to by "rear" speakers paired with my playbar while watching fooltball and other TV shows/movies.  Where is SONOS' response on this issue? 
+1  would be great, to be able to play full stereo sound on Play:1 paired with a playbar while watching TV... I don't buy the Playbar yet, only for that.
I recently bought Sonos through recommendations, but my rear speakers will not play at all through my Xbox One when the audio source is Stereo. Surround audio through gaming and videos work great.

I like what you said, there should be more toggles on the controller. Currently there is night mode, speech enhancement mode, there should be "music" mode too which will treat the rear surround speakers as stereo that uses 'full' or 'ambient'. I am on the Controller for Windows PC.

Right now buying the Play:1 is not worth it, I am considering returning them cause watching TV, listening to Music, or anything that emits stereo, doesn't make them work.

I asked this question on another thread and they pointed me to this thread:
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/xbox-one-treat-party-mode-for-music-and-surround-for-videos-and-g...
Userlevel 1
Badge
I really cannot understand why Sonos is so poor in listening his customers needs ... I WANT that feature too ... And i can't really think that is so complicated ... 
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Sonos is not scaled or intended to serve as an audio processor. 
If you want stereo music on more than two speakers just put them in the same group. I do this with my Playbar and a Play5 stereo pair without any issues. 
Userlevel 2
Doesn't the lag in the spoken word between the playbar and the speakers drive you crazy?
There is no lag with music so why is there one with grouping?  We keep the playbar sound turned down as low as possible and just listen through the speakers
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Doesn't the lag in the spoken word between the playbar and the speakers drive you crazy?
There is no lag with music so why is there one with grouping? 

I dont see any noticeable lag - only when grouping the playbar with other speakers but that is to be expected since a 'buffer' is needed when grouping.  However, this isnt how I would typically watch TV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
any comment on this from Sonos on this Idea ?

I listen to lots of music sources via my TV:
- Youtube using my Sony TV's built in Youtube app (which I can control from Youtube on my phone) to build a playlist of music videos.
- Spotify Connect via Amazon Fire TV (which I can also control from Spotify on my phone).  Spotify Connect allows loads more features than the Sonos app.
- Music Video channels on UK Sky TV

It would be great to have an option to play this audio back more clearly/louder from the rear (bonded) speakers when 'TV' is the source (Full setting) just like when 'Music' is the source in the Sonos app (Full/Ambient setting).

It needs to remain an 'option' since its possible the TV is of course not playing music or the music is already 5.1 encoded (DVD/Bluray music)
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
There is no lag with music so why is there one with grouping? 

The audio adjustment on the playbar allows to sync this
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos is really the poorest customer service in the world ... by far ...
No answer to questions, bad implementation of solutions, I feel dumb because i bought 3 of that poor speakers ...
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos is not scaled or intended to serve as an audio processor. 

But can you switch with surround when you're watching a movie. I don't know how to put my playbar and my two play1 in a different group while having my speakers bonded. I don't want to set up everything each time i switch from music on TV to movie on TV
I definitely wanted to add my vote for this capability! When I have non-surround inputs - I want my speakers to still work! See below for the support request to Sonos. They recommended adding a vote to this forum and hopefully the capability will be added. I purchased a set of Sonos for my media room a few days ago and have been putting it through its paces. For the most part have had a great experience, but am having some trouble with the play 3s (part of a playbar / sub / boost / play 3 / play 3 surround sound setup) My surrounds (play 3s) go silent with certain media (stereo inputs?). For example, watching Andy Griffith on Netflix or playing an audio book on Kindle through the TV using Air Play. Newer netflix content and and TV programs through Verizon FIOS seem to work fine with the surround system. For non surround sound content, I was expecting some way still use the speakers, even if the sound is not just a surround sound speaker channel. Am I missing a setting? Any guidance is appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think it should be an option right beside night mode
I would love this option too. Here is my use case. We watch TV/Movie after our kids go to sleep. We keep the volume low, and the rears are 20+ feet away from the playbar. We want to have full audio play through the rears so we can hear the dialogue even when we walk to the kitchen in the back of our living room to refill our wine glass. This feature is already available for music. I would be fine with a minor audio delay if that was the trade off.
Multichannel-Stereo is a BASIC functionality of every A/V Receiver since about 2003... I really cannot fathom how Sonos could even bring the Playbar to market without this feature. The current way 2.0 (Stereo) TV Sources are handled is abysmal for most content and lacking for the rest.Please fix this!
I am an installer and would also like to have a multi-channel stereo option.  Most clients want to fill the room with sound when watching basic TV.
I am an installer and would also like to have a multi-channel stereo option.  
No offense, but most clients are idiots. Sound engineers spend millions mixing surround sound to give an immersive experience only to have Joe Six Pack want "moar sound from dem speeekers I paid fer!" Do them a favor and save them from themselves.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I am an installer and would also like to have a multi-channel stereo option.  
Love it @Jgatie, yaw da man blood. 🙂 That cheered my up.