For God's sake SONO's listen to your Ruddy customers !!!

• 5 December 2019
  • 12 replies

Hi Sonos,

This is my call for you guys to come to your senses.

I’ve got a play:1 and a Sonos one … Guess what my gripe is!?

All I want to do is use your brilliant speakers in the way they were meant to be used, I have both of these speakers in the kitchen (Its not that big) and i want to stereo pair them, thats all !

I want to use the new features of the Sonos one and not have my Sonos play be an utter waist of money and time.

Your ecosystem should be backward compatible otherwise you are cheating people out of money, and more importantly loyalty, so please, please come to your senses and release a patch that makes this Utopian dream a reality, make it so that people who have invested in your tech and vision don’t feel cheated like a cheap floozy into investing in your products to be left in the cold when you release new things.

Thanks

D.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Yeah, im still not buying it, it feels like a cop out to me.

From a software perspective they could achieve what were asking.

Nobody said they couldn’t do it from a software perspective, not even Sonos.  Matter of fact, the link to Sonosequencr proves it can be done from a software perspective.  Every respondent in here has stated they don’t allow it for sonic differences.  Which is exactly what Sonos said in their statement.  So I’m not sure where the “not buying it” is coming from.  Unless you claim they are not sonically different, when the fact is the only hardware they share is the base and the power connection? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’m sure they could, from a software perspective. They’ve also said they’re not going to, since they don’t match from an acoustic perspective. 

A good one i heard is “I can drive my car with my feet, its achievable, but i wouldn't recommend it”.

The thing that gets me is if you read the comments on the thread:- https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/play-1-stereo-pair-with-sonos-one-6791376/index8.html#post16379349

It says Sonos says wont work, but there are a number of work arounds using either 3rd party apps, github projetcs using python, etc that can achieve whats being asked.

So im just not convinced a “Computer says no” response from sonos is actually true.

If i brushed off my python skills i could probably get it to work using this:- https://github.com/erikmansson/pair-sonos

And thats 2 ruddy years old !!!

I can pull a buggy with a Clydesdale and a chihuahua, but it doesn’t make much sense. A slight exaggeration, but it makes the point. 

Yeah @nik9669a  I’m not buying it.

I’m not a sound purist, call me old fashioned but you used to be able to pair different speakers to old hi-fi units cause they had the same connectors, being this restrictive flies in the face of customer choice.

And relegates older (Perfectly good) equipment to be considered not fit for purpose when it still produced perfectly good sound.

Not buying it?  Sonos explicitly states that is why they don’t allow it, even making an official answer in this thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/play-1-stereo-pair-with-sonos-one-6791376

While the Play:1 and Sonos One share a similar appearance and sound, the two are aesthetically and acoustically two different speakers. Stereo pairing the two is not possible through the Sonos app.

Yeah @nik9669a  I’m not buying it.

I’m not a sound purist, call me old fashioned but you used to be able to pair different speakers to old hi-fi units cause they had the same connectors, being this restrictive flies in the face of customer choice.

And relegates older (Perfectly good) equipment to be considered not fit for purpose when it still produced perfectly good sound.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Sonos,

I’ve got a play:1 and a Sonos one …

All I want to do is use your brilliant speakers in the way they were meant to be used,

By not letting you pair speakers that are sonically different, Sonos is ensuring that you use them in the way they were meant to be used.

@John B - I disagree, im using them for streaming music, there must be something that can be done, the simple “computer says no” response feels a bit like a cop out.

@jgatie - Thats Awesome ! but begs the question if a 3rd party developer and think of a fix, why the bejesus can’t sonos sort itself out and add it as a feature within their app ?? 

Sonos has stated that they do not allow pairing of unlike model speakers because they have different sound signatures, which would be detrimental to the stereo sound.  They tend to be conservative in how they let customers combine speakers, and they err on the side of sound quality.  

@John B - I disagree, im using them for streaming music, there must be something that can be done, the simple “computer says no” response feels a bit like a cop out.

@jgatie - Thats Awesome ! but begs the question if a 3rd party developer and think of a fix, why the bejesus can’t sonos sort itself out and add it as a feature within their app ?? 

One word:

SonoSequencr

‘Backwards compatibility’ is completely irrelevant.  The Sonos One and the Play:1 are different speakers and have different internal components and audio signatures, making stereo pairing unsuitable.