Floor stand for sonos one:secure?

• 12 February 2018
  • 16 replies

Hi
Finally decided to order a sonos one but want to get a stand at the same time so its not likely to get damaged
Does anyone have any opinions on the flexson vs the sanus stand for the sonus one? What ive read so far seems to suggest that neither are that secure and knowing how clumsy me and the cat are i dont want to risk anything but the best

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

There's a semi lengthy thread around here that suggests, if I recall correctly, that the Sanus stands are not very secure, but the Flexson ones are. Perhaps a quick search of the forum might turn that thread up, i do recall that there was one person posting who had both.
Badge
I have Flexson for Play1 and they are great. Small adjustable screw on base allow to perfectly set them on an non perfect floor.
I have Flexson for Play1 and they are great. Small adjustable screw on base allow to perfectly set them on an non perfect floor.I think the stand for the Sonos One must be different from that for the Play:1. I think I read somewhere that the One does not have a screw hole for fixing as the Play:1 does. Not sure about that, but to the OP: make sure you get the right stand for the speaker.
I could be wrong, but I think any stand is going to be a risk for getting knocked over. Unless the stand has a really wide base and is weighted just right, it can be knocked over. If it were me, and there are no furniture to place the Sonos One on, I'd be looking at attached the Sonos One to the wall.
Badge
I have an Alphason stand for my Play1 and cannot fault it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I read that lengthy thread comparing the Sanus stand for the One vs the Flexon, and due to the added cost (+50%) of the Flexon and very limited availability, I opted to try the Sanus and purchased the pair through Amazon. This way if they didn't work out, I could return them very easily.

I will say that while there is some merit in the concern that the Sanus mount adaptor isn't as secure as how the Flexon appears to be, simply because the dopes at Sonos failed to include a screw hole, Imho, the Sanus design is more than adequate. The adaptor fits in the speaker void pretty tightly and includes some foam tape to help keep it intact. Plus, when you route the power cord through the stand, that tends to help lock it down as well.

I did some tests by manually tipping the stand a couple of inches over my couch and I had to go past 45 degrees before the speaker tilted in the mount and another 10 or so degrees before it actually dislodged - that was orientating the tilt to the side axis. If I tilted it toward the front, it took almost 80 degrees before the speaker dislodged.

Honestly, if the stand is titled to the point necessary to dislodge the speaker, the stand itself is well beyond the tipping over threshold anyway and at that point, no amount of additional mounting is going to make a difference - The speaker is going to hit the floor whether it's still attached to the stand or not. That holds true for the Flexon, or anything else too, unless you nail it to the ground. The base is plenty heavy and sturdy, so unless you have little kids playing soccer around them I can't see this being a problem.

However, if this still remains a concern, you can certainly add additional foam tape to tighten the mount a bit more, or one individual mentioned using mounting putty which no doubt would do the trick, probably at that point exceeding the Flexon performance. But again, if you are tilting the stands to the point that they will topple, whether the speaker stays attached is really not an issue. Might actually be better for the speaker not to take the added momentum of the stand too by dislodging and falling clear.

The bottom-line is, if anyone is subjecting their stands/speakers to an environment where this becomes a real issue, I don't think any free standing mount is going to make a difference - The speaker is going to hit the ground no matter what. However, I would suggest the outraged few to refocus their dissatisfaction toward Sonos for omitting the screw hole mount in the first place. They sure didn't give these third parties much to work with, which was a pretty dumb move, Imho.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi H
We bought two Play 1 speakers and two Flexson floor stands in July 2017 - both directly from Sonos.
Easy enough set up. Tidy arrangement up until one of the stands base plate started peeling. Contacted Sonos Customer service via website messaging since we bought directly from Sonos. Three attempts with three seemingly computer generated replies essentially stating we are to contact Flexson since they are a “third” party. Not once did Sonos provide contact details for Flexson (still looking for a contact detail).

VERY frustrating being passed along by Sonos without the simplest basic customer service offering of a Flexson contact detail. Did I mention we did not purchase from Flexson rather directly from Sonos?
I was a loyal Sonos customer (Four Play 5, Sound bar, Two Play 1). After this very “$#% you very much” response from Sonos - the honeymoon is over.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi H
We bought two Play 1 speakers and two Flexson floor stands in July 2017 - both directly from Sonos.
Easy enough set up. Tidy arrangement up until one of the stands base plate started peeling. Contacted Sonos Customer service via website messaging since we bought directly from Sonos. Three attempts with three seemingly computer generated replies essentially stating we are to contact Flexson since they are a “third” party. Not once did Sonos provide contact details for Flexson (still looking for a contact detail).

VERY frustrating being passed along by Sonos without the simplest basic customer service offering of a Flexson contact detail. Did I mention we did not purchase from Flexson rather directly from Sonos?
I was a loyal Sonos customer (Four Play 5, Sound bar, Two Play 1). After this very “$#% you very much” response from Sonos - the honeymoon is over.

Yes, I can confirm that Sonos has some of the worst customer service in the industry, perhaps even displacing Samsung. I'm not going to bother going into my story, but I sympathize. Pretty crappy that as the Retailer on this purchase, they didn't have the decency to even bother to help guide you. Sucks.

Here's some contact info for Flexson:

https://www.flexson.com/

They are in the UK so try the Contact Page or email: support@flexson.com

Surprisingly, they don't show a USA Distributor, but I know they do have plenty of state side retailers. They should have a 1 year warranty, but I think we all would be interested in hearing how this works out.

Good luck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sorry to hear about that trouble, Bugsmo. I'm going to take a look into what happened with those replies, as we don't have any automated messaging that sends out things beyond a standard one after a case is being closed for some reason. Someone definitely read your message and sent the reply, though I'm sure that doesn't make you feel any better knowing. I'll see what went wrong there.

@mrmagloo, thanks for providing those contact details. Flexson support is the best one here to help with that issue.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I will say Ryan - Imho, you are one of the few bright spots at Sonos. Too bad, not many over there follow your lead.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The team is always looking for ways to improve, so if you do wind up having a poor experience somehow, please let me know and I'll make sure to get it passed along to the right people to address it.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
OK, what can you do about adding someone to the Google beta?
OK, what can you do about adding someone to the Google beta?
Ah... that's your poor experience with Sonos: you've not been chosen for the beta. 😃
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Haha, no - But, no doubt my sometimes tart posts here probably doesn't help my case. However, on the flip-side, getting 'Chosen' might help in that department, lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm pretty sure the beta pool is packed on that one. But I'll let you know if I hear of any openings.