Question

Flashing Red Battery LED - Sonos Move

• 20 May 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I was outside over the weekend listening to music on the Move. It was a warm day - in the high 80’s. 

But anyways, the move was playing four about 2 hours, but then the sound started to break up. So I brought the Move back closer to where I was sitting - and I noticed that the battery LED is blinking red, and then sound would not play at all.

The support page mentioned that a flashing red battery light is indicative of a "fault condition" so I just want to be sure this isn't a sign of more issues down the road. I'd like to make sure the battery is still good to go.

As I've used the Move from day to day since January it's been interesting to see how fast the battery loses a full charge, on occasion. I’ve figured the drainage may be due to the Smart nature of the speaker, always being "on". So, I've taken the initiative to shut it fully (long press and power down robot noise) off at night most nights, or when I want to be sure it’s not actively using battery. As most Move owners have realized, the issue of it turning back on after simply pressing the power button quickly to turn it off, is a bit counter intuitive. If I wanted it on, I’d have turned it back on. Coming alive while on the cradle is one thing, but turning itself on in the middle of the night after being turned off, is a bit odd. (talking about the Move here)

But this red battery LED flashing is the first time that I've noticed anything unusual with the Move, since I bought it in January.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I’ve had the same issue and it just disappeared after the next charge on the dock.

I just hope it doesn’t indicate future battery problems.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That seems to be the case with mine too. I let it cool down off the charger the next night and day after this incident. Then I re-charged it on a Tuesday and ever since then it has acted like everything is normal. I want to assume that on that particular afternoon the flashing red battery LED was letting me know that the unit has become a combination of too hot/too low battery to operate properly, and has decided to intelligently shut itself down. In any case, I do know that this product offers a battery replacement down the line. However, I’d only think to replace it after a few years rather than a few months. So… my bets are on the former.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’ve had the same issue and it just disappeared after the next charge on the dock.

I just hope it doesn’t indicate future battery problems.

I mistakenly flagged my own reply as The Answer. To follow up, I haven’t experienced this phenomenon since I first reported it. Putting Move back on the charging base and giving it a good charge seems to have helped. As well I routinely used to power down Move by holding the power button for 5-6 seconds, which apparently reboots it. Maybe that could have helped fix something.