Badge +18
Five ideas / suggestions / wishes:
  1. Make Sonos Playlists exportable, importable and editable
  2. Extend the Sonos Playlist name character limit from 20 to 50
  3. Have the new 5.0 option Universal Search include "Contributing Artists"
  4. Eliminate the barrier of 65,000 music library items
  5. Display scrolling long track and album names on controller apps
Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Userlevel 1
Agreed!
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
3 is really a shame it is not already in. The contributing artist is not searchable but it is displayed when song is playing!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Beynym,

These are great suggestions. Thanks for your enthusiasm. We'll pass these along to our developers as feature requests.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Hi Beynym,

These are great suggestions. Thanks for your enthusiasm. We'll pass these along to our developers as feature requests.

Thank you, Jeff.
Userlevel 1
Hi Beynym,

Finally some response from SONOS....  Jeff S, seems like your pal Jay C has moved underground? Please, check this post too.

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/playlist_editing-19wyx7
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
We'll pass these along to our developers as feature requests.
What was the reaction of your developers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

2,200 posts and you really think that will be substantively answered?
After over a year to boot. Deliberately obtuse indeed. Of course the point will be made that we can't speak for Sonos, even when we state long held, oft repeated, and well established Sonos policies. Lather, rinse, repeat. Blah blah blah. :rolleyes
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
After over a year to boot. Deliberately obtuse indeed. Of course the point will be made that we can't speak for Sonos, even when we state long held, oft repeated, and well established Sonos policies. Lather, rinse, repeat. Blah blah blah. :rolleyes
Always nice to read once again another positive contribution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
2,200 posts and you really think that will be substantively answered?
Yes, I do. I'm not asking for a full disclosure of any R&D policy. I'm just asking what their reaction was.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Can't be bothered
Can't be bothered

Not like it is going to change anything. Might as well make another non-positive contribution by helping out other customers with their questions and problems. Someday I hope to make a "positive contribution" by asking questions that nobody is going to answer or have already been answered dozens of times.

One can dream . . .
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Their reaction is almost always "Thanks!". Since we don't usually share details on roadmaps or what's in the works we can't say too much.

We've been working on a lot of things in the last year, including the soon to come Spotify direct control and Amazon Echo support. I know those aren't the main features you're looking for but they are the only features we've announced that are soon to come. I'm not sure if you've looked into it, but using Plex as a service is a good workaround for having over 65k tracks to index.

I'll make sure the team knows those requests of yours still have interest around them, but I can't promise they'll make the "to-do" list, just like I can't say if they already are on it or even if they were scheduled for release next week.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
we can't say too much.
Thanks for taking the time to respond, I do appreciate it. Even if your reponse is somewhat disappointing, to be honest.

I'm not sure if you've looked into it, but using Plex as a service is a good workaround for having over 65k tracks to index.
I did look into it, but found it to be not as reliable as I would expect it to be.
. Even if your reponse is somewhat disappointing, to be honest.

What response would not have been disappointing to you?
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
What response would not have been disappointing to you?
A response that would state which one of my five ideas would be worthy of implementing. Even without a timeline. Knowing which one(s) will eventually make it to the finish line would be nice.
If there is no timeline indicated, it isn't of much use to just know what is worthwhile because that can be upstaged by other ideas thought more worthwhile by Sonos at any later time. And Sonos can only indicate a timeline if they choose to do so, for projects in the development process; which like many companies, they choose not to.

Which is why Sonos never responds to any ideas submitted, except to say " under consideration". I doubt any other company is different.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Which is why Sonos never responds to any ideas submitted, except to say " under consideration". I doubt any other company is different.
I know all of that. I'm just trying to convey the message that Sonos should consider changing it's attitude towards loyal customers by demonstrating the downside of its position: customers are left in the dark and in this day and age that's not a good thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I know all of that. I'm just trying to convey the message that Sonos should consider changing it's attitude towards loyal customers by demonstrating the downside of its position: customers are left in the dark and in this day and age that's not a good thing.

Nah, I for one am most happy that Sonos doesn't allow customers (me included). Customers may well always be right but they are also, as a whole, idiots.

You only need to look at some of the ideas touted on these threads.
Well, someone is demonstrating something. That's for sure.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Five ideas / suggestions / wishes:
  1. Make Sonos Playlists exportable, importable and editable
  2. Extend the Sonos Playlist name character limit from 20 to 50
  3. Have the new 5.0 option Universal Search include "Contributing Artists"
  4. Eliminate the barrier of 65,000 music library items
  5. Display scrolling long track and album names on controller apps
Thank you.

comments on your suggestions.

1. Can't and won't work. Controllers tell speakers what to do. That's all. The file location information is stored on the speaker. Rule: if you have two (or more) lists, one ( or more) will always be wrong.
2. Why? Asking for something with no reason doesn't make sense. Why is 20 characters not enough.
3. Contributing artists? Mmm. Maybe doable but how much value is that? Is this artist on compilations?
4. Not doable. Constrained by memory on earlier models - info is stored in the speakers NOT the controller. Sonos supports all its products and can't make speakers incompatible with each other e.g. you have a mix of old speakers and new speakers.
5. Not doable. The track metadata is character limited within the 65,000 limit.

So while you are disappointed with Sonos' response there is only one that may be doable.
I'm not sure 5 is impossible. All the poster is asking for is scrolling of names on the controller, not increasing the length. Then again, in the two years since this thread was created, the OP has gone far beyond requesting new ideas and has instead become our resident social justice warrior battling against Sonos' draconian customer relations policies. He knows the answers/reasons for not getting his pet projects implemented; his requests have been answered dozens of times before by users and Sonos employees alike. At this point he merely seems to delight in getting Sonos representatives to dance like monkeys to his oft repeated tune.