Question

Feature Request BLE

• 12 August 2019
  • 7 replies

I have multiple rooms with SONOS. When I open the app to choice music there is a 50/50 chance it will be set to the right speaker.

I understand the new SONOS speakers have BLE. Currently only used for easy set up?

BLE could be used by the app to identify which speaker you are closest to, and pre-select that as the speaker to interactive with.

For speaker without BLE SONOS could sell little £5 BLE beacons to mount on the speakers to enable the same functionality.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi martinbuff

Try this...in the Sonos app Go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Confirm Location > Slide button to right.

Let us know if that helps or maybe you are referring to something different?

Cheers!
Thanks I think I have this enabled already.

BLE would add more intelligence to the process. i.e. you're closest to this speaker so it can assume you wont to interact with that one.
Userlevel 7
Thanks I think I have this enabled already.

BLE would add more intelligence to the process. i.e. you're closest to this speaker so it can assume you wont to interact with that one.

I'm no expert on BT (BLE) but to my knowledge any form of BT is a signal that could be captured by any BT capable device in proximity. What you are asking IMHO would require one of two things:
  1. The speaker would have to analyze the intensity of the signal to determine if Speaker A is closer than Speaker B or
  2. Each speaker would have to be equipped with proximity sensor to measure closeness.
However, that being said it's a moot point for iOS devices as accessing stored content will soon be removed. The best solution IMO (although less than what you're asking) would be to integrate Alexa with Sonos and set a favorite speaker.

Cheers!
Is GPS accurate enough to accomplish the same thing? Could you theoretically set up geofencing 'zones' where the default zone is set based on which zone you're in. I would think this would be preferable, size it wouldn't require the speakers to be a beacon. It would also make it usable for Amps where the passive speakers themselves are in a different location then the amp (perhaps several amps in a central location).
You are correct: "I'm no expert on BT (BLE) but to my knowledge any form of BT is a signal that could be captured by any BT capable device in proximity."

New SONOS speakers already have BLE. and I suggested a BLE token for the older speakers. An iBeacon would also work.

The iPhone or android handset would be the device that would receive the BLE signal. All it woul need to do is record the SNR for the known BLE SONOS device. from that it can work out what its closest too.

GPS isn't normally that accurate plus most of the time the phone would be indoors.

Not to confuse things but my BLE/iBeacon idea is very similar to the Waze iBeacon project e.g. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj6jIf9yILkAhWQbsAKHS3xBk0QFjABegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fblog.mass.gov%2Ftransportation%2Fmassdot-highway%2Fhighway-waze-app-tunnel-service-improvements%2F&usg=AOvVaw3kYrpDLXZm_agwnEpd69Qs
Badge +20
In my house the closest speaker is often not the one I would want to have playing.

Two examples that would occur daily, sitting on the sofa which is against the wall in the living room backs onto the dining room where there is a pair of Play One’s. Similar in the bedroom, where my head lies is considerably closer to a single Play One in an adjoining bedroom than the one in my bedroom.
Good point, however depending on the wall construction the SNR may be lower for the one that's closest to you as the wall effects the signal.