Extended warranty for Sonos devices

• 27 December 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I was looking on Amazon and they are offering Squaretrade service plans (extended warranties) for a very good price and I wondered why Sonos can't offer the same plans when you buy a device directly from Sonos instead of having to go through Amazon?

A selection of 4 year plans:

4-Year Home AV Protection Plan ($125-150) -- $11.70
4-Year Home AV Protection Plan ($200-250) -- $10.79
4-Year Home AV Protection Plan ($300-350) -- $12.78
4-Year Home AV Protection Plan ($350-400) -- $13.77
4-Year Home AV Protection Plan ($400-450) -- $15.85
4-Year Home AV Protection Plan ($450-500) -- $17.70

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I'd be interested in purchasing extended warranty for my speakers.
Extended warranties are almost always bad value in the long run. The insurer has to cover the expected cost of failure AND administration costs AND load in a profit margin. Most electronic items fail early on because of manufacturing fault, or after a long time because they have worn out. The 'risk cost' for the insurer is often very low, with substantial loadings for expenses and profit.

I decided a long long time ago never to buy them. Unless you are very very unlucky it is cheaper in the long run to use the premiums saved to pay for the odd failure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
For those of you who happen to be in the UK, Sevenoaks and Richer Sounds (and possibly other retailers) offer a free six-year warranty on Sonos equipment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Stanley_4. Thanks for the post. It is indeed something to think about on our end. We will certainly forward this for consideration. I'm keen to hear if other users would like to see this introduced as well, I can certainly see the benefit of it myself. I am sure others will, too. Let us know if you have any further thoughts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I purchased my new Play 5 from Amazon with the $17 plan so I have no worries for several years on it but I'm looking at getting a Play 1, not a ONE before you run out of them and I'd really like to not send Amazon any more money instead of sending it to Sonos so I hope the head honchos come up with something.
My #Connect died after 2 years and now sonos want 249 to replace..I would advise everyone getting an extended warranty.
For those of you who happen to be in the UK, Sevenoaks and Richer Sounds (and possibly other retailers) offer a free six-year warranty on Sonos equipment.Good tip and I have happily accepted Richer Sounds free warranties. Not needed one yet though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Extended warranties aren't a good value based on the odds of needing one but on the other hand if it would be painful to have to buy a new whatever the smaller cost of the warranty buys peace of mind. You need to decide if that makes them a good value for you or not.