Answered

Erratic Connection with 2 , 1 play speakers in 2 different rooms

My first speaker in the living room was so amazing, always connected and easy to search and find music through the app. I was addicted and a plan to buy one for every room. I then bought a second speaker for the kitchen - since then nothing is dependable.

The second speaker was not so easy to get it up and running but with the jump cable thing it finally all came together. However the system is now simply annoying. Music sometimes works on both speakers, often not. There is no one speaker which works more often. It doesn't stick with an album whether I indicate shuffle all or play all. It swings in and out of connection often complete silence an hour later starts up again.
I have read some of your responses to others who have had this problem. Please note, I have no idea on terminology unless it is indicated somewhere very clearly. i.e. forget asking me to look for ip error or ethernet etc. Very impressed with your customers abilities. The app is pretty basic but there doesn't seem to be any 'try this' solutions - at least those that use the words that are actually visibile on the app or somewhere on the iphone etc.

I love this concept, I hope you can help me make it work.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by cthomas 7 December 2017, 10:53

Thanks a lot. I have read the internet FAQ's and all okay so have proceeded with your second solution which has partly worked... both speakers are working and after some fidgeting both are back on one group. However, using the app to change music didn't work "unable to connect to sonos". I seem to be able to do this only if I go into the room where the router is placed (which is neither of those rooms). To be honest if this is all that it takes and the speakers don't cut out, I am okay to do the music manipulation from the other room. Lets see however, if the speakers cut out or play through the whole album.
Many thanks for your response and your clear instructions/suggestions.

View original

4 replies

There's a couple of potential things that might be causing this issue. First is wifi interference, which would cause your second speaker to be disconnected from the wifi for an indeterminate amount of time. Probably a good idea to read this:

Wifi Interference FAQ

The second issue, which often gets exposed when Sonos updates their software, causing a soft reboot of the speaker, is a duplicate IP address issue. The simple and non-permanent solution is to unplug your Sonos devices from power. Then reboot your router. Then plug back in your first speaker (the one closest to the router, or the one that is wired directly to the router with an ethernet cable). After that one is up, move on to the next speaker. Then when all of them are back up, test to see if you can reproduce the issue.
Thanks a lot. I have read the internet FAQ's and all okay so have proceeded with your second solution which has partly worked... both speakers are working and after some fidgeting both are back on one group. However, using the app to change music didn't work "unable to connect to sonos". I seem to be able to do this only if I go into the room where the router is placed (which is neither of those rooms). To be honest if this is all that it takes and the speakers don't cut out, I am okay to do the music manipulation from the other room. Lets see however, if the speakers cut out or play through the whole album.
Many thanks for your response and your clear instructions/suggestions.
I'm guessing that you've got some additional issues with your wifi signal, then. Either wifi interference as previously indicated, or issues with wifi coverage, since you're getting that "unable to connect". Take a look at the FAQ again, and try changing either your router's channel, or if you're on a "boost" setup, the SonosNet channel, and see if that helps.
Thank you. Its working although slightly temperamental at start-up which is I think is probably my wifi .

Kind regards,
Chris

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P