Entry Level Playbar

Userlevel 1
I have been talking to SONOS support who have been very helpful, but couldn't resolve my problem......I want better sound from my smaller LED TV's <36"............and they eventually suggested that I get as many followers for this idea as possible, which would enhance the possibility of it becoming a reality. So, please, please, all you supporters of a smaller/mini Playbar, please like and follow this conversation to continue to pile on the pressure on SONOS to take this request seriously. Thanks :)

This was my question to SONOS support:------
"Thank-you for spending the time to respond to my query, I appreciate your efforts in trying to find an answer to my problem. However, it would seem that there really isn’t a SONOS solution for smaller TV’s, or to put it another way, a SONOS solution for all the TV’s in a home. What it needs is a mini wall mountable version of the Soundbar, one that doesn’t necessarily have to produce full surround sound, but one that could provide better sound than an LED TV, but still form part of the SONOS family of products and SONOS network."

And this was part of their response:-----
"So to support these ideas and show that you want them to be implemented, use the 'Like' button. You can also keep track of the progress of an idea by clicking the 'Follow' button and the more people that follow an idea; the likelier it will get implemented."

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

I would rather see Sonos address the problem by creating a "Video Connect" that would interface with a TV of any size and/or other video components to allow any Sonos speaker to be incorporated into video. Small TVs could have a pair of Play1s providing good TV sound and doubling as regular stereo speakers for the room. Larger TVs might warrant the addition of a Play1 or Play3 used as a center channel plus a sub and rear Play1s to create a conventional surround setup. Even Playbar users could benefit if the "Video Connect" added the HDMI connectivity and DTS support lacking in the Playbar itself.

I think a "Video Connect" could meet the demands for small TVs plus address many other requests related to video sound. By being less specialized than a smaller Playbar it would likely sell in sufficient volume to justify its development.
Userlevel 1
Sounds a good idea. What I'm really out to achieve is to encourage sufficient 'noise' from the SONOS community, to apply pressure on SONOS to broaden their product lineup to include entry solutions for video sound as well as entry solutions for music sound. It also needs to be smaller, if you have a 27" Smart TV then the current lineup of speakers is a little too large.
Maybe the "Video Connect could also be a Bluetooth transmitter so you can use Bluetooth speakers of any size with the TV. That would give you a whole universe of options.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Fully agree. It's a bit like. https://getsatisfaction.com/sonos/topics/new-play-c Or https://getsatisfaction.com/sonos/topics/bridge-hdmi-with-a-couple-of-hdmi-in-for-a-chrome-cast-och-bluetooth-dongle
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
This is the problem with the ask.sonos format, lots of separate ideas for the same thing. Really all the topics relating to a smaller Playbar need merging. This way it will truly reflect the +1's and not 10 topics with a few +1's
Userlevel 1
Brilliant idea, SONOS take note please!!!!!!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I don't see we need an entry level Playbar, what I see is this and bear in mind that the Play 5 is old and could be redeveloped. Play 3 or 1 Front Left Play 5 Front Centrr (Updated with HDMI with ARC, Optical inputs) Play 3 or 1 Front Right Play 3 or 1 Rears and Sub
Userlevel 1
As I said before "It also needs to be smaller, if you have a 27" Smart TV then the current lineup of speakers is a little too large". I don't mind how it's achieved, I just want a solution that will fit with smaller TV's and still form part of the SONOS music environment.
In 2012, there were approx. 47 million TV sales in Europe, 65% (30.5million) of which were less than 40", and the average screen size of TV's sold was 32". (Data extracted from the topten.eu European TV Market 2007-2012 report) This size of target market surely justifies the development of a suitable SONOS sound solution for smaller sized TV's.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I don't see we need an entry level Playbar, what I see is this and bear in mind that the Play 5 is old and could be redeveloped. Play 3 or 1 Front Left Play 5 Front Centrr (Updated with HDMI with ARC, Optical inputs) Play 3 or 1 Front Right Play 3 or 1 Rears and Sub
The Play:5 hasn't changed since it was released in 2008/2009 (aside from the logo and name change) so maybe it's time to give it an upgrade in terms of I/O.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
As I said before "It also needs to be smaller, if you have a 27" Smart TV then the current lineup of speakers is a little too large". I don't mind how it's achieved, I just want a solution that will fit with smaller TV's and still form part of the SONOS music environment.
In 2012, there were approx. 47 million TV sales in Europe, 65% (30.5million) of which were less than 40", and the average screen size of TV's sold was 32". (Data extracted from the topten.eu European TV Market 2007-2012 report) This size of target market surely justifies the development of a suitable SONOS sound solution for smaller sized TV's.

Apart from the PlayBar which is your main gripe I do not see that the other Play devices are to big for a 5.1 setup. Yes I have a 58" 4K TV but even if I had a 32" TV I wouldn't have a issue with the PlayBar size. Also if you take a look inside the PlayBar you will see the 6 speakers and 3 tweeters that are needed to give you the 3.0 of the 5.1 setup and do not see they could squeeze this into a smaller form factor. Like I said above the Play 5 could be reworked as the centre channel of a 5.1 setup, personally I would prefer this and would buy 5 separate speakers plus a sub to achieve 5.1.

Also note that a Playbar needs enough length to provide channel separation and virtual surround. The ideas using separate left, right and center speakers avoid this constraint but if you have to have a Playbar then maybe the best solution is to get a bigger TV so the existing version fits.

I also doubt that a 2012 report on sales by screen size is relevant in 2015. I think the average size for new sales now is 55 inch with a strong trend to even larger sizes. 
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Not to mention smaller soundbars will at best only deliver stereo sound with no option for 5.1 SS I also think the market has moved on since 2012 and some large screens are ridiculously cheap as they are old models, so upgrading to 50" is in my opinion not that expensive unless you choose to go for the latest model.
Userlevel 1

Firstly, the point I am raising is the desire for SONOS to develop a product that will provide better sound than can be achieved with most of today's smaller screen TV's.  Not necessarily full 5:1, just better quality sound in a form factor to suit smaller TV's and be able to connect to other SONOS speaker systems. Since 2012, sales of <40" TV's have amounted to approx. 90 million in Europe, surely you are not advocating that they should all ditch their TV's after only 1-3 yrs!

Secondly, the figures and projections in the 2013 report and projections for 2014 do not bear out your assumption that the average screen size purchase is 55". To quote the 2013 report (and projections indicate not much had changed in 2014)
".......... that in the UK, where people buy most TVs, they buy smaller TVs than in other countries (only in Spain and, in 2011 in France, people bought on average similarly small TVs). In the UK the smaller average size will be a result from a high sales percentage of secondary TVs, which are placed in the sleeping room or kitchen." I suspect that there are not many people wishing to purchase a gargantuan 55" TV for their kitchen or bedroom. The fact that 55" TV's are becoming cheaper is not the deciding factor, it's just their sheer physical size. It seems to be true that 55" or larger TV's are becoming more popular in the Living Room, but not according to all the reports, elsewhere in the house. 

Lastly, despite cheaper larger TV's and all the hype about 4k and other new technologies, it appears that most people are more interested in Smart technologies than size, up to more than half (57%) of all TV's sold in 2014 were Smart TV's. Given that 58% of TV owners have a set in the bedroom and 13% have a TV in their kitchen (according to Mintel), and also that TV sales are expected to decline in the years to come in favour of tablets, I would guess that actually, there will be a strong demand for small screen video sound solutions.
Badge
Please Sonos! I'm sure this would be on your top requests if you merged all smiilar topics!!!
Please Sonos! I'm sure this would be on your top requests if you merged all smiilar topics!!!

Not even close.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I've only recently joined the sonos community and know exactly what you are saying. I very much support a smaller Playbar. All the people on this thread casting doubt don't sound like they have much experience with a Playbar. With all due respect to Sonos, I cannot hear noticeable left/center/right channels from the Playbar at all. The only obvious left/right channel comes from the two Play:1s I have connected as surround speakers. And I believe this is the best setup for smaller TVs/rooms (a smaller Playbar + 2x Play:1s). Really disappointing they released the Playbase (which, by most reviews is inferior to the Playbar) at the same price point. Given these are the only two products with TV connectivity, they really should offer/have offered a smaller, lighter, less expensive version of the Playbar instead.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
"Video Connect" with HDMI/ optical and analogue inputs would be a very handy bit of kit indeed. Sonos have drawn the line under DTS though (no support)..

I would rather see Sonos address the problem by creating a "Video Connect" that would interface with a TV of any size and/or other video components to allow any Sonos speaker to be incorporated into video. Small TVs could have a pair of Play1s providing good TV sound and doubling as regular stereo speakers for the room. Larger TVs might warrant the addition of a Play1 or Play3 used as a center channel plus a sub and rear Play1s to create a conventional surround setup. Even Playbar users could benefit if the "Video Connect" added the HDMI connectivity and DTS support lacking in the Playbar itself.

I think a "Video Connect" could meet the demands for small TVs plus address many other requests related to video sound. By being less specialized than a smaller Playbar it would likely sell in sufficient volume to justify its development.

"Video Connect" with HDMI/ optical and analogue inputs would be a very handy bit of kit indeed. Sonos have drawn the line under DTS though (no support)..

It's been 2 years since I suggested this and I have long since moved on. There is no way Sonos is ever going to make a video product that would work for me in even the most casual viewing situation so I instead use conventional AV receivers or Soundbars with full HDMI connectivity and support for all surround encoding schemes. I can add a Connect if I want Sonos music input (or an Echo Dot or Spot as an alternative music option) and get everything I need without wishing for a Sonos solution that is never going to happen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It's been 2 years since I suggested this and I have long since moved on. There is no way Sonos is ever going to make a video product that would work for me in even the most casual viewing situation so I instead use conventional AV receivers or Soundbars with full HDMI connectivity and support for all surround encoding schemes. I can add a Connect if I want Sonos music input (or an Echo Dot or Spot as an alternative music option) and get everything I need without wishing for a Sonos solution that is never going to happen.

I have a working solution with my Playbar and Blu-ray to transcode DTS to 5.1 and supply 5.1 through my TV for Blu-rays DVD's anf Netflix. Virgin Tivo supplies 5.1 when available through the TV as well.

DTS would be nice but wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Amazed with the Play1's, bought them as surrounds but in full music mode they are very capable speakers!.
+1 - If the Playbase were a $300-400 solution, I would have 2-3 of them in the house. I have a playbar and it is both unwiely and too expensive for other rooms.