Answered

Does Playbar Need to Be Turned on for Individual Play One Speakers to Work?

• 13 September 2018
  • 5 replies

I have a couple of Play One speakers in two rooms which are deliberately not grouped with my Playbar, Sub etc. If I turn on one of these Play One speakers it is not picked up in the Sonos app until I have also turned the Playbar on in the main room. Is this correct?
icon

Best answer by Belly M 13 September 2018, 12:57

Depends on if you are in WiFi or Boost mode, neverless Sonos equipment is designed to be left plugged in and powered on.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Depends on if you are in WiFi or Boost mode, neverless Sonos equipment is designed to be left plugged in and powered on.
I'm on WIFI
Mrkdffy,

No it’s not correct for WiFi Mode are you sure about its connection? Goto 'About my Sonos System' in the Sonos App and see if it says either WM: 0 or WM: 1 next to the Sonos One device in the list ... note you will need to switch on both the Sonos PlayBar and the One to see what it says.

Also note these speakers are not designed to be powered on/off and they should remain in standby for a variety of reasons discussed elsewhere on this forum.

The electricity usage in standby is minimal and mentioned here in this link:

Sonos power consumption when idle
Might be useful to define what it is you mean by "turned on" for the PLAYBAR. Do you mean that you unplug it, or turn it off with a switch, or do you mean that it's not playing something from the TV? There's a difference.

When the TV is "off", the PLAYBAR and SUB are in a "low power" state, waiting for a "wake up" message from the system. In general, all Sonos devices are meant to be powered on at all times.

And frankly, unless you're unplugging the TV, it's also in a "low power" state, waiting for a "wake up" message. Most electronics for media work this way, since there is a certain amount of "programming" that requires them to be "on" to save it.
Thanks Ken - all devices are WM0.
Thanks for the permanently powered on suggestion- that certainly would remove the issue.