Does it make sense pairing Play:5 (Gen2) with 2x One (Gen1)?

• 26 November 2020
  • 1 reply

I’m about to purchase 2X Sonos One (Gen2) for the study. And I don’t know what to do with the Play:5 (Gen2) that has been in the Study so far.

Should I take it to the Kitchen and pair it with the two Sonos One (Gen1) by placing it in the middle, all three facing Kitchen and Living room? Or is this setup bad for the stereo effect? I have a feeling having three speakers lined up might be counter productive.

Or shall I take Play:5 into bed room?

Thanks for advice,

Houman

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @houmie.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand you are looking for answers on how to proceed with your setup. Let me help you out with that.

Stereo pairing Sonos devices only work with Sonos devices of the same model. On your provided information, you would like to pair (assuming you are referring to stereo pair) your Sonos Play 5 with your Sonos Ones (already stereo paired). There are 2 reasons this is not possible. 

• Your Sonos Ones are already stereo paired. that is the hard limit for stereo pair (2 Sonos devices of the same model).
  • The Sonos Play 5 can only be stereo paired with another Sonos Play 5 as indicated in the guide on how to create a stereo pair.

What we can do (both your Sonos Ones and your Sonos Play 5) would be in the same room is use the group and ungroup feature on the Sonos App so they can be in sync when we are playing music in that room. However, we cannot name them both using the same name like for example your Sonos Ones are already named kitchen, the PLay 5 can be named Kitchen 2 but not Kitchen again.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have any further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,