Question

Disable volume popup on Hisense 55N7

• 27 December 2017
  • 8 replies

Hi,

I'm the proud owner of a Sonos Playbar. I've just completed the setup and all is working well. The only step I can't complete is disabling the volume display from the TV when I hit volume up / down. I can't find Hisense in the list of remotes on the KB article. Is there somewhere I can get the info I need to disable the volume display?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Try asking the manufacturer of the TV.
Have you looked in the user manual for the TV? If it exists, the setting should be somewhere in the "audio" settings, where you would turn off the TV's speakers, which normally turns off the volume bar on screen as well. But there are some TVs that don't allow that, from what I understand. I'm not familiar with Hisense.
Try asking the manufacturer of the TV.

Good idea, thanks.
Have you looked in the user manual for the TV? If it exists, the setting should be somewhere in the "audio" settings, where you would turn off the TV's speakers, which normally turns off the volume bar on screen as well. But there are some TVs that don't allow that, from what I understand. I'm not familiar with Hisense.

Had a good look through the manual with no success. I emailed Hisense and they confirmed it is not possible to disable the volume display. Hopefully they fix it in a future firmware release.
Gah, that's unfortunate.
i had the same issue. i cannot control the volume with my hisense nn57 tv remote when i connect to sonos play base via optical cable. I contacted hisense australia support and they ask me to contact sonos support, i have no idea who has to fix this issue.
Unfortunately, it’s either Hisense, or you. The optical connection the Sonos uses is a one way system, so data only travels from the TV to the Sonos. So, the TV can’t know what volume the Sonos is set at to display it to you. And most TV manufacturers recognize that if the optical connection is in use, the on screen volume shouldn’t have any meaning, especially if the output is set to “fixed”.

You could potentially set up a different remote control code to control the volume. For instance, a programmable remote would let you set up power and channels for the HiSense, but volume for a Vizio, or Sony, etc. Then you’d just tell the Sonos to look for the separate volume IR codes, and it wouldn’t hit the screen on your TV at all.

But I’d be bugging HiSense for an update to their system to be sure.
anyone had any joy with this yet? its so frustrating as the volume bar doesn't bear any resemblance to the actual volume being played.