Question

Direct Ethernet Connection via Sonos Play 1

• 11 March 2017
  • 8 replies

So I'm well aware that you can connect a Sonos Play:1 directly to a Mac via ethernet to play music off that laptop directly to the speaker. No Router or Wifi involved... Well thats what other posts seem to allude to.

But nobody has actually specified HOW. :)

So whats the step by step process?

I've turned off my wifi on my mac, plugged my Sonos directly into it, and opened the Sonos app... It just tells me to connect to a wifi network, and won't attempt to find my Sonos that is plugged in. I turn the wifi on, sonos still connected via ethernet , nothing happens.

How do I get this to work folks? 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

What posts are these that allude to this? I've been around for a while, and don't recall seeing any. I've got my Play:5 connected via the headphone connection on my Mac, not by any ethernet connection.
The ethernet connection only works in Boost, aka Sononet mode. So you need a Boost (or any other Sonos component) wired to the router.
@jcb-42. I assume that you are talking about AutoIP mode, in which case you are correct, this can be done i have done this with a PC but have little knowledge of Macs. If a Mac can generate the IP address needed then you are potentially in business. Don't know how you would confirm that.

A couple of other points to note. You must have your Sonos music library defined and it must be on the Mac. It is the only source you can play in AutoIP. Also, you can only use the controller on the Mac.

Finally.... why do you want to do this? A cheap travel router might be a better option but we need to understand your aims.
Alao you need to turn off your router. It is not sufficient to turn off wifi on the Mac because the Play 1 will still get an IP from your router if it is still available.
For the avoidance of doubt this will NOT turn your Play 1 into a computer speaker. You can only play your music library, which you can do anyway over wifi when at home.
Thanks for your help! Well I'm heading to New Zealand traveling for the 1st month.
I am likely going to be based in hotels/motels with open wifi networks I don't exactly want to hook my Sonos up to that. But rather play my music through the Sonos app direct to my speaker through an Ethernet connection.

John B - how have you generated an IP for the Sonos via PC? Do you connect your Sonos over wifi first to link it to your library then reset your Sonos to connect to your machine via Ethernet?
I would definitely consider getting a travel router if I were you. But for the Auto-IP, as the name suggests, if the computer is going to do it, it will do so automatically. I don't know if Macs do this. The key thing is to deny the Mac and the P:1 the opportunity to get an IP address from your router. On your Mac, turn off wifi, Then power off your router, the Mac and the P:1. Connect the Ethernet between the Mac and the P:1. Reboot the Mac and let it come up fully, then power up the P:1. Leave router off.

Go into your Sonos controller for Mac and if there is any hope of it working you will find the P:1 as the only available "room". Select your music library as the source and try to play something.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes.
BTW, a travel router connects to hotel wifi but then gives you your own secure network to run Sonos, and other things. You would probably find it impossible to connect Sonos directly to a hotel wifi, as well as undesirable. Get a travel router!