Answered

Deselected rooms(s) continue playing

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Odd issue occurring in the past couple of weeks or so. I play something on a speaker with my iPad, for example in my kitchen. Then want to continue listening in a different room, for example “bedroom” so select the new room and deselect “kitchen” and press done. Playing begins in the other room, but continues to play in the kitchen despite the fact that it is not now a selected room. Pressing stop in playback has no effect on the kitchen speaker neither does exiting the app altogether, playback just continues in my example, my kitchen. The only way I can stop it is to mute this speaker and continue playback in the bedroom. Unmute the kitchen speaker and it’s still playing there despite not being a selected speaker!

I have only used the two rooms as examples of what happened this morning. Over the past couple of weeks it’s happening with other rooms as well.

Anyone any advice as it’s really annoying?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by John B 5 May 2021, 11:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hi.  This sounds like a local communication glitch.  Certainly not something I am experiencing.  As a first step I would try the old ‘switch it off and on again’ trick.  Power off router and Sonos devices.  Power on router fully, then Sonos devices.  If that doesn’t work, come back for further troubleshooting.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Thanks John, will try what you advise.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

After resetting, things have been okay for while, however I have just been listening on my bathroom speaker and when I left the room I deselected this room and switched to Lounge Amp. Stopped the playback shortly after and the Amp went silent but the bathroom was still playing although the app was showing playback stopped. Closed app on my iPad but that didn’t work, so just powered ithe bathroom speaker off, playback stopped of course and back powered back on again.

Very annoying , but it seems to be happening to just me!

I’d agree with John, this does sound like a networking issue, where the second device isn’t getting the “command” to stop playing when the Amp is. 

Closing the app wouldn’t make any difference, it’s just a remote control, the “playing” of the music occurs at the speaker level, not at the controller level. I’d be curious if when you re-opened the controller, if it then recognized that the bathroom speaker was still playing. I’d think it should, as reopening the app should, I assume, send a ‘hey, all speakers report to me your status” type of reconnect signal. 

I’d recommend reproducing the issue, and then within 10 minutes, submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Well here we go again! Same problem a couple of times recently including this morning. Listening to a podcast in the kitchen, switched play to bathroom device which started playing but kitchen speaker still playing despite being deselected. Pressed stop on iPad appand bathroom playback stopped but kitchen just carried on. Had to power off this speaker to stop it playing. No other way to stop it via the app.

So did you then submit the diagnostic, and contact Sonos? As previously indicated, this still has all the hallmarks of a network issue, where the ‘stop’ command is not getting from your controller to the offending speaker. But the diagnostic would have the details.