Question

Dented Play:1

• 18 August 2015
  • 10 replies

Badge +1
So, (yeah I know, gutted!) I dropped my Play:1 at the weekend - I now have a 5cm dent in the front left corner of the grill.

Anyone know how I can get it out? Can't find any tutorials online and don't really want to take it to bits.

Tried Sonos on Twitter and the response was "not our problem, bro!" (practically!)

I was thinking a fishing hook or something through the hole in the grill and trying to pull it out? (I'm a perfectionist!)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Badge +20
Good luck... You dont have to take it apart too much and could knock the dent out from the inside.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4cs3C6Z_3gU
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello hop3y, usually our team on Twitter is a way friendlier than this 🙂 but this is somehow true, we can not offer the same support on a product with a cosmetic damage than on a device with a hardware issue. I would anyway let you know the options you have now if you would really like to have it fixed:
  • Send it back to us: We can replace your unit but due to the cosmetic damage, you will have to pay a certain replacement fee.
  • Open it and fix the grid from the inside as shevans mentioned previously: This might not be an ideal solution, if you open a Sonos device the warranty is void.
  • Fix it from outside with a Small Hook Tool: The result might not be perfect but at least you will save some money and will also keep the product under warranty.

I hope it helps.
Hello hop3y, usually our team on Twitter is a way friendlier than this 🙂 but this is somehow true, we can not offer the same support on a product with a cosmetic damage than on a device with a hardware issue. I would anyway let you know the options you have now if you would really like to have it fixed:
  • Send it back to us: We can replace your unit but due to the cosmetic damage, you will have to pay a certain replacement fee.
  • Open it and fix the grid from the inside as shevans mentioned previously: This might not be an ideal solution, if you open a Sonos device the warranty is void.
  • Fix it from outside with a Small Hook Tool: The result might not be perfect but at least you will save some money and will also keep the product under warranty.

I hope it helps.

Seriously? I just called in about 2 hours ago and had a rep tell me that I am out of luck for anything cosmetic. I don't know if he was not used to customer service, having a bad day, or what... but he was also somewhat rude sounding.

I love Sonos - the design, the sound... etc. But now I am considering selling my boost, 2 play 5's, and soundbar because I am under the impression that if my toddler somehow causes any cosmetic damage, I have a $700 brick.

Please correct me if I am wrong....
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Why should you expect Sonos to pay for cosmetic damage inflicted by you or your family members? Surely this is why one pays for household insurance? Moral of the tale is to be careful with your Sonos products!
Why should you expect Sonos to pay for cosmetic damage inflicted by you or your family members? Surely this is why one pays for household insurance? Moral of the tale is to be careful with your Sonos products!

My apologies I was not more clear. I do not expect Sonos to pay for cosmetic damage. I wanted to pay to have the grill replaced. Similar to when you damage well, anything... it can be repaired or replaced. And that is what the Sonos rep who contributed to the thread seemed to be saying.

I was asking for clarification because the Sonos rep above said that there was an option available that the rep I spoke to on the phone said was not available.

Please be polite and not bicker on here.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Late to the party but is sad when a company deploys such tactics. BigN, removing a "void warranty" sticker )simply opening a Sonos product) DOES NOT, I REPEAT, DOES NOT legally void any warranty. And putting it in writing as sonos has done most definitely documents this illegal practice. They have admitted in writing that Sonos is in violation of federal warranty law. Namely, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. Simply removing a sticker (e.g. open a product) does not materially change or cause any sort of failure whatsoever. "tying" (The condition of the warranty which "ties" the consumer to specific parts) is illegal and the only reason Sonos is getting away with this is because consumers just don't know their rights. In fact, according to this law consumers are indeed able to open their Sonos devices and even REPLACE PARTS with non OEM parts. Illegally denying warranty claims also creates a monopoly with respects to repair service; yup, creating a monopoly is also illegal. Not making parts available is certainly a questionable legal practice. Someone who knows their rights and asserts there claim in federal court may be in for landfall class action suit win.
There is absolutely no need to keep resurrecting older than dirt threads to keep posting this stuff. It is obnoxious.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
BigN, removing a "void warranty" sticker )simply opening a Sonos product) DOES NOT, I REPEAT, DOES NOT legally void any warranty. And putting it in writing as sonos has done most definitely documents this illegal practice. uhh it does void your warranty if you pry-open any electronic devices and damaged it. You’ll find this same policy stipulated in your phone, speakers, etc. Apple even go as far releasing software updates to brick a phone that had its Touch ID or screen replaced from a third-party non-OEM parts. With the thing you referenced, Apple would be issuing apology statements right now and not released any of these updates.
Userlevel 3
Badge
BigN, removing a "void warranty" sticker )simply opening a Sonos product) DOES NOT, I REPEAT, DOES NOT legally void any warranty. And putting it in writing as sonos has done most definitely documents this illegal practice. uhh it does void your warranty if you pry-open any electronic devices and damaged it. You’ll find this same policy stipulated in your phone, speakers, etc. Apple even go as far releasing software updates to brick a phone that had its Touch ID or screen replaced from a third-party non-OEM parts. With the thing you referenced, Apple would be issuing apology statements right now and not released any of these updates.

Not in the USA. I do not know but I would suspect Canada has something comparable to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

This article might be of interest to you:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gv5ddm/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-are-illegal

Now you know how it is suppose to work (at least in the USA).
Userlevel 3
Badge
There is absolutely no need to keep resurrecting older than dirt threads to keep posting this stuff. It is obnoxious.

Well, it seems as if the resident deity has spoken. Be nice. You'll make friends instead of being obnoxious.