Delete the music service integration in your App (S2) Sonos App it is stupid.

• 14 October 2021
  • 23 replies

Badge

Look, the good thinks about the app are: to control the EQ, set Trueplay (ONLY in iPhones, no iPads or Android devices…) and to set the voice or night mode. I find it useful for those things I just mentioned.

Then if you want to search your music is a nightmare. The users, We love to use out streaming music services such as Spotify and go to Spotify Connect and select your device or speaker and play our music on that selected device. 

We like to go simple without complicate our life. Also, the interface in Spotify for searching music is more dynamic and accurate than the Sonos App.

Now here is the problem, when I go to Tidal or Qobuz apps and try to look for the Sonos speakers in their Tidal Connect and Qobuz Connect I don't see them. So I have to go to the boring and ugly Sonos app and search for the Song, which it is not as accurate as searching from the Streaming Music App. In addition If I found the song and then I want to start the Song’s Radio in the Sonos app, this is not possible.

In conclusion, the Sonos app is limited in functions compared to the Streaming Services Apps (Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Etc.)

I am wondering who is responsible for not allow Sonos speakers into the streaming services?
Is it the music streaming services or Sonos or both sides for not to let us (the users) to enjoy in a easy way our music.

The ONLY music streaming service that I know that have a good interface and easy to use is Spotify. The music quality is not the best, I am agreed. But easy to use, good interface, nice design. No wonder why have more clients than any other service. No mentioned that also have other extra functions like Philips Hue, where you can integrated your lights with your music. And all from the Spotify App.

To be honest sometimes I have a hard day and all I want is to enjoy music and read a book. So I just open Spotify and play some music. The integration of Spotify keep it simple and easy. Something that Sonos and other music streaming services should learn about it.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7

I am not questioning your personal experience with the Sonos app, but my experience has been quite different.

I use Apple Music, Amazon Music, Spotify, and TIDAL all on the Sonos app, and I don’t have any problems searching for or playing music from these services. I honestly don’t know how much easier Sonos could make it. And even when I play music directly from each music service app, I can easily select the specific Sonos speakers to play music on.

The ONLY music streaming service that I know that have a good interface and easy to use is Spotify. The music quality is not the best, I am agreed. But easy to use, good interface, nice design.

I use the Spotify app all the time to play via my Echo units that are wired in to Sonos line in jacks - except when I am using voice commands to do so where Spotify is also my default service on Alexa. And I have no issues with Spotify music quality.

I have Apple Music but I do not use this because it can only be voice commanded to play, if one does not want to invoke the Sonos App for this.

That said, some may find the unified interface across services via the Sonos App to be more to their liking; it is just a matter of personal preference, and as long as the options are there to use both, all is good.

Except - for music services like Apple and others not playable on Sonos directly via their native apps. Sonos fans will immediately say that this is all due to lack of effort from these services and I am not going to argue that chestnut with them anymore.

I use Apple Music, Amazon Music, Spotify, and TIDAL all on the Sonos app, and I don’t have any problems searching for or playing music from these services. I honestly don’t know how much easier Sonos could make it. And even when I play music directly from each music service app, I can easily select the specific Sonos speakers to play music on.

The above isn't the case for Apple Music for sure; one cannot move the music stream from the app hosting device to a target Sonos speaker in the way one can with Amazon Music and Spotify. You may be doing this via airplay, but by keeping the hosting device in the music playing loop, it isn't as elegant a solution. And not everyone has Airplay equipped Sonos units.

Badge

Ok. I heard you people.

So, tell me how do you start a Song’s Radio in the Sonos App?

Also, sure you can use airplay but what happen if you don’t use Apple devices? Is Sonos been selfish for just giving more benefits to Apple?

Why Android users can not Cast their songs?  We all deserve the same enjoy. 

SOUNDS REALLY SELFISH  

Badge

I am not questioning your personal experience with the Sonos app, but my experience has been quite different.

Ok. So tell me when you a searching for a song, how do I know which song is in Dolby Atmos? It would show me the Titles of that song but not the type… see my point… The only way to see it is going to the Native App, in this case to Tidal and play it from there the song that you really want to listen.

Do you have the list of Sonos speakers in Tidal Connect in your PC or Notebook?

Check this: https://www.reddit.com/r/TIdaL/comments/dth08l/tidal_and_sonos_desktop_apps/

Userlevel 7

Ok. So tell me when you a searching for a song, how do I know which song is in Dolby Atmos? It would show me the Titles of that song but not the type… see my point… The only way to see it is going to the Native App, in this case to Tidal and play it from there the song that you really want to listen.

Check this: https://www.reddit.com/r/TIdaL/comments/dth08l/tidal_and_sonos_desktop_apps/

I don’t need to know if a song is in Dolby Atmos since Sonos doesn’t yet support Dolby Atmos music from the Sonos app. I’m sure when Atmos support from Amazon Music arrives, songs in Dolby Atmos will be appropriately labeled and categorized within the Sonos app.

When I use the TIDAL app on my iPhone, I can easily access all of my Sonos speakers:

Badge

I don’t need to know if a song is in Dolby Atmos since Sonos doesn’t yet support Dolby Atmos music from the Sonos app. I’m sure when Atmos support from Amazon Music arrives, songs in Dolby Atmos will be appropriately labeled and categorized within the Sonos app.

When I use the TIDAL app on my iPhone, I can easily access all of my Sonos speakers:

You can play Dolby Atmos in Tidal from Apple TV. 

And you are looking your Sonos speakers from the iPhone, but what about the TIdal app in a notebook or desktop?

Userlevel 7

We aren’t talking about apps from an Apple TV or any other TV-connected device or native TV app. We are talking about music services on the Sonos app which do not currently support Dolby Atmos audio.

Sonos speakers aren’t typically used as computer speakers. But when I use the TIDAL app on my Mac, I could easily stream the music over AirPlay to my Sonos speakers.

How exactly are you playing music from the TIDAL app on your computer to your Sonos speakers?

Userlevel 7

Ok. I heard you people.

Type the song’s title under Search in the Sonos app. Tap “Playlists”. Select a playlist inspired by the song:

Badge

We aren’t talking about apps from an Apple TV or any other TV-connected device or native TV app. We are talking about music services on the Sonos app which do not currently support Dolby Atmos audio.

Sonos speakers aren’t typically used as computer speakers. But when I use the TIDAL app on my Mac, I could easily stream the music over AirPlay to my Sonos speakers.

How exactly are you playing music from the TIDAL app on your computer to your Sonos speakers?

I play Tidal from the desktop and then to my speakers or sounds bars with Chromecast incorporated. Not possible with Sonos. (From the Tidal Dektop App).

Or going to Sonos App for PC and select it from there, but again you are not able to see the quality of the song you are playing. ie. Qobuz Hi-Fi you can not see what titles are unless you check in the native app. And then you go to Sonos and you hope you selected the title with the best quality and from the correct album.

Badge

Ok. I heard you people.

Type the song’s title under Search in the Sonos app. Tap “Playlists”. Select a playlist inspired by the song:

I will be it a try.

Thanks for the help. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@xuxumana123 Just a bit of well meant feedback. it would have helped if you would have worded your post as a series of questions. The way you have worded it now is a series of (partly wrong) assumptions and accusations (“selfish” in captals, and in red too? Come on, man) that for me makes difficult to answer positively to you post. My compliments to @GuitarSuperstar and @Kumar that they have been helpful.

Badge

Ok. I heard you people.

I tried this. When I look into the playlist the songs are not the same as when you listen as Song Radio. And here is my point of view, Sonos can not offer the same function as the native app unfortunately.

Badge

@xuxumana123 Just a bit of well meant feedback. it would have helped if you would have worded your post as a series of questions. The way you have worded it now is a series of (partly wrong) assumptions and accusations (“selfish” in captals, and in red too? Come on, man) that for me makes difficult to answer positively to you post. My compliments to @GuitarSuperstar and @Kumar that they have been helpful.

Ok...

Badge

Ok. I heard you people.

I tried this. When I look into the playlist the songs are not the same as when you listen as Song Radio. And here is my point of view, Sonos can not offer the same function as the native app unfortunately.

Sonos don't give information of details of the album or song you are listening.

If I am interesting only in turtles that are in their best. This what I see.

Looking for the album Kaya by Bob Marley. And different options but not info... So then have to go to Qobuz app to know exactly which one with the best quality and then come back to Sonos and make sure that I am selecting the right one. 

Do you understand my point? Of why I think the Sonos app doesn't offer the best info and prefer a native app instead of Sonos app.

In some cases it is easy if there only one album but I this case and other times when I am looking for specific quality you just don't know and you have to be going to the native app and comeback to Sonos making harder to find the right single or album in that quality.

@xuxumana123 I don't think anyone disagrees that by offering a common template to all, the Sonos app loses out compared to dedicated native apps; I prefer the Spotify app myself, or even the Apple Music app, which I cannot use on Sonos.

But there also are some advantages in the Sonos app, such a search feature that searches across all the services and reports results by service. If you don’t see the value of this and rather use the native app, you seem to be doing that anyway, but the title thread seems unwarranted. Even you are not affected by not deleting it - do what you are doing and don’t use it.

Delete the music service integration in your App (S2) Sonos App it is stupid

No.

If you don’t like it, don’t use it.

Badge

Delete the music service integration in your App (S2) Sonos App it is stupid

No.

If you don’t like it, don’t use it.

I try not to use it. But guess what I have because Sonos speaker don't show in all the streaming music native app. ie. Qobuz. :/ 

Who is responsible for that??? Sonos or Qobuz???

As I said before Spotify is fine and works great talking about the interface. 

And happy to avoid the Sonos app but it is not possible. That's why I kind of selfish but who is responsible for that?

But guess what I have because Sonos speaker don't show in all the streaming music native app. ie. Qobuz. :/ 

Who is responsible for that??? Sonos or Qobuz???

Qobuz.

It takes substantial effort to develop a “connect” mode for Sonos in a native app. Many of the smaller services don't support it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

That’s down to Qobuz, Sonos have provided an API that any music service can use. Spotify have made good use of this, as have Amazon Music.  Other music services have done the minimum or not used it at all.

Badge

Thanks for the info.

This was hinted at already, but worth repeating I think.  When using the native apps, the audio quality and format displayed for a track does not mean that the track will play at that audio quality on Sonos speakers.    Tidal’s atmos tag is one example, ULTRA HD tag for Amazon music is another.  The tag displays what is possible, particularly if the native app doesn’t know the capabilities of the amp/speaker you’ll ultimately be playing on.

This was hinted at already, but worth repeating I think.  When using the native apps, the audio quality and format displayed for a track does not mean that the track will play at that audio quality on Sonos speakers.    Tidal’s atmos tag is one example, ULTRA HD tag for Amazon music is another.  The tag displays what is possible, particularly if the native app doesn’t know the capabilities of the amp/speaker you’ll ultimately be playing on.

There is probably an interesting additional paragraph to this: Leaving aside the Atmos kind of stuff and staying just in the realm of what is usually understood as HD/Hi Res, is it a case here that what is being displayed as being played - Hi Res/HD - is enough to keep people happy even if what is actually being played is not HD? And this is thereby driving a preference for the native app?:grin:Speaking in general terms, that may or may not apply to the OP.