DEAR SONOS: IT'S BEEN FUN, BUT WE CAN'T SEE EACH OTHER ANYMORE

• 21 October 2017
  • 10 replies

Badge
I've been a loyal customer for a number of years now, enjoying the experience and telling everyone how great you are. But, this joyride has come to an end.

Why? Your decision to require Internet access in order to function, and to prevent functionality until all components have been "updated."

This decision no doubt is so you can continually improve my listening experience, either through the speakers or through the app. While I appreciate your earnestness to try to please me, you've turned needy. I need you to play my music from any source. That's it. Nothing more. Yet you insist on updating. And you get cranky when you can't reach the internet. So much so you refuse to function completely -- obstructing the enjoyment of my music library. This amounts to nothing more than abuse.

Therefore, I'm leaving you. It's been fun -- we've shared a lot of good times together. I'm going to miss you. But it's not me -- it's you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

But Jeff- they can change. Really, they can. But they really have to make an effort and want to change. Then things can go back to the way they were.

I'm having seeing the same things and we (Sonos and I) are taking a break right now. I may pursue other audio relationships in the meantime. Though I will always look back on our time together fondly.
Your loss I would say. But good luck with whatever your new system is.
John, I totally understand how good Sonos can be when things are working. But right now I have no reliable music and I am guessing there will be no quick solution to the new updates that were not needed for 'non-voice' systems. As we speak, I see that the system just 'found' my speakers again. Maybe I can play some music.
I would urge you to at least submit a diagnostic and post the number back here. On the basis of long experience this is very likely due to local network issues, a small chance of Sonos hardware problem and a very small chance of a general update issue .
But good luck with whatever your new system is.
It will take more than luck - every other wireless solution has more issues.

If one does not want all the trouble with these, a legacy style wired set up is the answer. With a hardware based and therefore frozen in design remote. But it will also give access to a lot less music that what wireless systems connected to the net will.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi guys, If I may, you can set up your system so that it doesn't need internet access, but you'll need to do a few things, and of course, we strongly don't recommend it.

You would need to get everything on the same software version. Which means updating everything to 8.1 (the current build right now). Then, turn off automatic updates for your app store on all controllers. And in the Sonos software under Settings you can turn off check for updates automatically. Please remember that if you're trying to run offline, you will only have access to your local music library. Any services or radio stations will need an internet connection, and also, you will need to continue to receive software updates for them, since connection protocols for services to change over time.

If you're having trouble with your system, I'd really encourage you to give us a call on our support line. A technician can help sort everything out.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Ahhhh....The dreaded "It's not me, it's YOU!" I think that's the FIRST time a guy has EVER heard this! 😃
Badge
Dear Ryan S

Thank you for your credible reply. You’d think that by updating all products to a known version, then unchecking updates for all devices that the problem would resolve itself —in order to prevent interruption in the future, don’t update your devices and controllers. I wanted to believe the solution was that simple!

I have done that.

The problem exists when you are operating the devices in an environment that cannot connect to the Internet, i.e. remote places.

I did take home all of my devices and update them through the Internet. Speakers, Connects, controller software on laptops and iDevices, successfully.

Upon returning all devices to their remote locations, the controller app could not see the devices. Why? Because THEY NEEDED CONFIRMATION THROUGH THE INTERNET.

So Ryan S, I now move my tirade towards the big brains at Sonos:

THANK YOU, Sonos. It’s been fun. Your “improvements/enhancements” have NOT contributed to the enjoyment of my music library... it has INHBITED IT. You are trying to collect too much information about my usage before you let me enjoy your functionality.

Remember how Lamborghini came about because of Ferrari’s arrogance?

(that’s a rhetorical question)
Hey Jeff... I take my Sonos kit on the road in my RV where 95% of the time there is no internet and have never had a problem. I’m in my fourth year of this. What message are you getting that the internet is required? I only stream my local library on the road.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
What I want to be able to do is to downlaod the current version of the software, and apply that to all devices and never upgrade again (especially given the CR100 debacle). I have my own music library and am not interested in a whole raft of new cloud based services. I want to disconnect from cloud services, not be forced to upgrade, and if I do need to bring a component on stream that has an older version of software, I just want to bring that up to whatever my current system is at, rather than then having to do a full round on every component again.

This will be even more critically given the CR100 issue and thereofre the need to stay at version 8.4