cutting out.

• 4 April 2020
  • 9 replies

Sort this out Sonos!

I’m very close to selling all of my Sonos products (play:1, 3, 5(1st gen), 5 (2nd gen)). 
Great quality sound from all of the speakers (although bass frequencies cut out on 5?1st gen occasionally), but it’s driving me mad that all speakers cut out at least half a dozen times when listening to them individually for an hour or so. How can something like this have such poor network performance?  
I have Sky Q and sky broadband and read that sky’s utilisation of both 5ghz and 2.4 ghz may cause issues as Sonos only runs on 2.4 ghz. I’ve split the two bands up, and consciously made sure my phone is on the 2.4 ghz band when streaming to the speakers, but still they cut out. Sometimes they come back by themselves, sometimes I have to go into Spotify to select again the particular speaker, and sometimes I have to go into the Sonos app to find the speaker. 
This is driving me nuts. Don’t give me any excuses about my network not being up to scratch, as nothing else drops off like these speakers do!  It’s not as of I bought them for a fiver at a Sunday market!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You should go under settings … Help and submit diagnostic and post here for sonos to review

I would recommend sonosnet to get them off your home wifi   Having one unit hooked to router  

Anything else gets bad packets on your network it just asks for again  streaming music is another matter and issues will show themselves   Listen to sonos reps and they can fix issues  

GAJ73,

You have briefly outlined the hardware and mention that your skyQ WiFi is running okay for Sonos and presumably that comment is referring to mDNS multicast broadcasts over the subnet? ...but what WiFi channels are you using here? Are they non-overlapping ’fixed’ channels.. and is the 2.4ghz band using 20MHz width, or multi-channel?

Also, perhaps more importantly, have you already tried operating your Sonos products entirely on SonosNet, with one device only cabled to the primary skyQ box and in-turn removed the WiFi credentials stored in the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/Networks/Wireless Setup’? If so, what problems did you encounter with that setup and did you ensure the SonosNet channel was set at least 5 channels away from your skyQ’s 2.4ghz WiFi channel? 

It would also be helpful to know if you have already reserved you Sonos IP addresses in your routers DHCP Reservation Table and shifted ‘other’ capable network devices over to the 5ghz band.

Have you also checked for local-device interference as mentioned in this Sonos document:

Wireless Interference

I think the more information/detail you can provide the more chance that other Sonos users here in the community maybe able to assist you, or of course, you could speak directly to Sonos Customer Care (24/7) via this usual LINK.

Hello both, and thank you for your replies. 
You’re obviously very knowledgeable, but I feel you’re missing my point. 
Ken, how many people who buy into wireless speakers would actually have a clue as to what you are referring to in your comments?  I was an IT tech 15 years ago so have a little knowledge,  but I’m not aware that Sonos specify that the end user has to have comprehensive networking skills. Consumers simply want to go into a store, or go online, and buy a speaker that suits their budget and their needs, with SIMPLE setup and reliability (like any other wireless consumer product). 
I’ll give your suggestions a go if I can find some patience. Failing that I’m tempted to see if a hammer cures the issue!

Just submitted diagnostics (1062241621)

Most network based products will setup and work straight out the box and that’s probably the case for the vast majority of the 1200+ products that Sonos may sell each day.

I think we all know however there can occasionally be ‘exceptions to the rule’ with some incompatibility issues or general network setup conditions, for example, Sonos and Apple AirPlay based products can sometimes have issue with routers that do not allow mDNS packets to transverse between a wired and wireless connection and occasionally there maybe issues surrounding WiFi access points/repeaters etc. operating with different SSID’s and WiFi channels.

In your particular case, you have a SkyQ mesh wireless system, which has been mentioned previously in these community pages and often the best way to operate Sonos with such a system is by possibly using their wired SonosNet signal setup .. hence it was not clear in your post in which you ask Sonos to sort this, if you had tried that type of setup and it had not worked for you?

It’s not clear if you had spoken to Sonos Support about the matter, or perhaps had followed the advice of other users here in the community and that you were still unable to resolve the problems with your system.

If you are still struggling with the setup, or how  to go about it, then I am sure that giving Sonos Customer Care a quick call next week will likely help you to resolve your matter. 

Sincerely hope you manage to get the matter sorted. 👍

Hi @GAJ73. Thanks for the post.

I have taken a look at your diagnostic and It seems that the Sonos players are experiencing network interruptions.

Is the “TP-Link” unit that the Sonos is connected to a WiFi extender? or a router? It is preferred for the Sonos system to be operating from the router itself.

Additionally, I would like to assess if this issue is still present when running in our Sonosnet configuration. I would recommend to hardwired a Sonos player into the router you are using.

Following this, would it be possible to provide me with an updates diagnostic?

Hello Adam

the to-links are range extenders.

Last night I set up the SonosNet and after a few teething problems there were no dropouts whilst playing music for 3-4 hrs, which is good news. 
I’ve returned the sky router to its original settings of using dual band, and the tp-links replicate this (from what I can see). 
My play:1 was wired to my router during setup, and it didn’t like it when I went to return the speaker to its previous position (in another room). Is it the case that I will have to keep the play:1 wired into the router?

Ive since run a further diagnostics (1544810969)

Regards

Graham

When range extenders are involved you are likely to have a much more stable system with SonosNet operating, and that means having a Sonos device wired to your router.  If it isn’t convenient / necessary to have a speaker there you could get a Sonos Boost to use as the wired device.  Or a Sonos One SL  is currently on special offer and not that much more expensive than a Boost.

Just cut out again. Totally random. Have been listening to it on one speaker for approx 2 hours. I’ll buy a Sonos boost and plug straight into the router, but my point is why should I?  It should just work over Wi-Fi. It should just work!!!!