Control Sonos with Alexa, Now

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
If you want to do this, right now, just enable the "My Speaker" skill. You'll need a Windows 10 PC to run the bridge app, but that's it. No technical skills required, just install the app and run it.

Enable the skill by voice, or via the link:
https://www.amazon.com/ControlAV-My-Speaker/dp/B071YW8F1R

(Sorry, USA only at this time)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Meh. Plenty of apps can do this now, without needing a PC. Yonomi just needs your Android phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Advert?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Yonomi can't actually search for your music, its just a play/pause skill. My Speaker can actually search by artist, album, track, playlist, etc. No other Skill can do this.
Looks like it might be fun to play with over the next several months while we wait for the official integration to be released. Does it require any particular Sonos firmware level?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
No, it works on any Sonos system, going back at least 3 years.
So I can have voice control without losing my legacy queue functionality in the Sonos controller app. Sounds pretty good!
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
No doubt. The queue changes were in the controller, the Player API didn't change. The last player API change that I can recall was for Repeat-Once, and my code handles firmware versions both before and after that one.
Badge
Hi controlav. Can you add Canada to the app download permissions?
Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
So Alexa is available in Canada? Huh, ok, will do.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
anything brewing for us Canadian OSX users?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Sorry no OSX.
Badge
Thanks controlav. Its working well so far with just a couple of glitches.
Can i use it in the UK? I don't see it in UK skill list.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
No, sorry, it only works on US Amazon accounts, as Amazon only fully support Alexa in the USA. There are critical features missing from the GB and DE (German) skills infrastructure. When and if Amazon get their act together, adding GB will be trivial, although German is a lot harder for obvious reasons. (Harder for a Englishman, anyway).
Badge
Why do I need a Windows 10 Computer to make controlAV work? I want to use this functionality, but do not want to invest in a Windows 10 Computer/appliance to make this work..
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Why do I need a Windows 10 Computer to make controlAV work?

Because you need something on your local network that can communicate between the Amazon cloud and your Sonos players. Although Echo's are on your local network, Skills have no access to that. I chose to use a Windows 10 app to be the bridge.

When Sonos get around to doing this, they will no doubt use one (or more) of the Players to be the bridge between the cloud and the local network, but obviously that option is not available to me.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Interesting that this thread appears as an advert on Google if you search for "Sonos Alexa". Can't see it really generating sales for Sonos.
@controlav - I'm using MySpeaker and I think it works great so far. You just need to be specific in your syntax. I had a question - Can MySpeaker use SiriusXM as the search library? I've gotten MySpeaker to use my iTunes library and Pandora but haven't had success with SiriusXM. Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
This question is best handled by direct email, but TL;DR: Sirius XM has a very weird SMAPI Search implementation so is not currently supported.
Badge
Can somebody please post a link to the windows 10 app. I have searched the web as well as the Windows 10 store and can't find the app anywhere
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Install the Skill on your Alexa first, then Alexa will give you the link to the app.
I'm having the same problem with the installation of the Windows app. Enabled the skill on alexa. The only link I saw there was this one (http://myspeaker.org/info). That link didn't contain a download link. Could someone provide the actual link here?
Badge
See the above post from ControlAV... I did exactly what they said and worked like a charm... I tried the app out yesterday and it worked great!!!
I can't find the My Speaker App for Windows either. Controlav are you saying that Alexa dot will say the link (audio) or it is somehow shown in the Alexa app on my phone? I'm having no luck.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Please email us for assistance, but the app link is in a Card, along with the PIN, that the skill puts in your Alexa app.