Question

constant updates a pain

• 8 January 2018
  • 8 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies
Sonos, I am so tired of the constant updates that require me to re- add my music services! It is time consuming and frustrating, and as much as I love your speakers (I own 5 of them) I am probably going away from them in the future for this reason!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Updates should never require music services to be readded and I have never had to do so. I suggest you give Support a call
Still, (s)he has a point. I don't have to re-add my services, but I'm still fed up having to cope with updates *literally* almost every time I use SONOS. I feel like I'm working for SONOS apps, not the other way around. Consider that if you use SONOS through more than one device or computer, and with the frequency that updates are issued, the chances of all your equipment being happy at any one time is slim. I understand completely that updates are important in principle, however most of these updates are not noticeable to me as improvements. Fewer updates please.
Still, (s)he has a point. I don't have to re-add my services, but I'm still fed up having to cope with updates *literally* almost every time I use SONOS. I feel like I'm working for SONOS apps, not the other way around. Consider that if you use SONOS through more than one device or computer, and with the frequency that updates are issued, the chances of all your equipment being happy at any one time is slim. I understand completely that updates are important in principle, however most of these updates are not noticeable to me as improvements. Fewer updates please.

Turn off automatic updates on your mobile devices and turn off update alerts on your Sonos app and you will never have to deal with updates again unless you specifically wish to.
I'm still fed up having to cope with updates *literally* almost every time I use SONOS..If that is even close to being 'literally' true, then either you don't use Sonos much or you are in the Beta program.
Wow, a logician. Your point is?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
both points above seem to cover not getting updates in future.
Yes, jgatie’s point was helpful. It is frustrating to contribute to community boards knowing that the chances of steering clear of sarcastic trolls is so poor. Thanks to those with helpful comments.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Beta programs can sometimes have updates every week or every other week. Sometimes, if a major bug is found, there could even be two updates within a week. If you find updates are this frequent, go to www.sonos.com/myaccount/beta and leave any beta programs you might be participating in. That might help a lot right there. Leaving the beta program will prompt to update your system one final time, to return it to the latest public release version of the Sonos software/firmware.

Released updates - those that have completed testing and are released to the general public - happen once every couple of months, unless a major issue is discovered following the release, or some unexpected security issue is discovered. Sometimes the controller app may be updated, but not an update for your Sonos devices.

Either way, as jgatie said, you can turn off the update notices in the Sonos app, and also disable automatic app updates in your mobile device's app store settings, and you should only be forced to update when you want to (just be aware of updating all apps that need updates though, as you might accidentally update your Sonos app if there's an update available).

Also, as John mentioned in his first post, updates should never require that you re-add all of your music services. All accounts should be present just as they were before the update. If this is really happening to you, a call to Support might not be a bad idea.