Question

Connecting a turntable to existing Sonos Speaker network | Connect or ConnectAMP

I'm purchasing an Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable (with built in pre-amp). I have two Play 1's and a Play 3 -- and I want to be able to play to those speakers only (or any additional Sonos speakers I buy in the future) via the audio out on the turntable. I do NOT have any other audio equipment, such as an amp/receiver or other speakers. Is my assumption correct that I only need the Connect to play under these conditions -- or is the ConnectAMP needed?

Additionally, could I equally get a Play 5 (in place of one of the Connect productts) and connect the turntable directly to the Play 5 and still connect with the other speakers?

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

The Connect is all you need. The only reason you'd consider the Connect:Amp is if you had some old speakers you wanted to use it to drive.

Yes, to the Play:5. It would have a different cable (the Connect uses a RCA input pair, the Play:5 uses a headphone style 3.5mm jack).
Since you are getting a quality speaker for a little over the price of a "dumb" Connect, if you can use the speaker, the 5 is the obvious choice.
Badge
Since you are getting a quality speaker for a little over the price of a "dumb" Connect, if you can use the speaker, the 5 is the obvious choice.

I would agree -- for your setup, get a Play:5 -- you get a bonus speaker setup.
As answered before, you can technically use any of those solutions.
Connect -if you have other SONOS speakers and want the turntable is an isolated area away from speakers (aesthetically pleasing)
Connect amp- if you have towers or bookshelf speakers you want to use
Play5- for speak next to it and easy connection. Youll need and 3.5mm to RCA adapter, but easiest hookup.
I am not having the good result some of you suggest I should be having. Background: I just purchased an Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable (with built in pre-amp). I have 3 Play 5 speakers. I connected the LP120 directly to a Play 5 and the audio level is very low. Based on earlier posts in this community, I have since gone to ROOM SETTINGS > LINE IN > LINE IN SOURCE LEVEL and maxed it to Level 10. The audio volume still is far less then audio pushed by the Play 5 when using a streaming service. And, I have confirmed that the LP120 output is set to LINE, not PHONO. I would presume that, unfortunately, I must buy a CONNECT to power the turntable but I have seen other posts saying that a Play 5 and a CONNECT have the same amp capacity. So, please, what do I do to increase the audio on my new LP120 so it is comparable to the audio gain of my streaming services?
You seem to have done all the right things; getting a Connect isn't the answer. One thing to try is changing the connecting cable. If that does not work, submit a diagnostic to Sonos and send them an email quoting the diagnostic number, with a cut/pasted copy of the post above.
That turntable is notorious for having a low output. I bet getting something between the play5 and table to amp the signal would fix. Connect would not.
Do you have another amp or receiver you can test with?
I am not having the good result some of you suggest I should be having. Background: I just purchased an Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB turntable (with built in pre-amp). I have 3 Play 5 speakers. I connected the LP120 directly to a Play 5 and the audio level is very low. Based on earlier posts in this community, I have since gone to ROOM SETTINGS > LINE IN > LINE IN SOURCE LEVEL and maxed it to Level 10. The audio volume still is far less then audio pushed by the Play 5 when using a streaming service. And, I have confirmed that the LP120 output is set to LINE, not PHONO. I would presume that, unfortunately, I must buy a CONNECT to power the turntable but I have seen other posts saying that a Play 5 and a CONNECT have the same amp capacity. So, please, what do I do to increase the audio on my new LP120 so it is comparable to the audio gain of my streaming services?

yeah i agree with above, as someone who works in A/V install, design, and repair..that sounds like an issue at the source. i guaranteeif you hardwire your phone to the play 5s..and play audio thru line in..itd be pretty loud. i would try another cabling from point to point, set your turntable to photo and buy a phono stage, or get another turntable.
good luck
Thanks for the thoughtful replies!
I’m planning on doing exactly the same. And buying either a play 5 or a connect as either would be suitable for my setup. But as it’ll be the same turntable I wondered if you ever sorted a solution?

Thanks!
Here's a question, is there a step by step guide to connecting a Audio Technica - LP120-USB turntmy existing able to an Onkyo TX 8020 receiver to my existing Sonos network?
Here's a question, is there a step by step guide to connecting a Audio Technica - LP120-USB turntmy existing able to an Onkyo TX 8020 receiver to my existing Sonos network?

You would need a Sonos Connect. Connect the turntable to the Connect via these instructions:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1080?language=en_US

Note if you turntable does not have one, you will need a phono preamp.

Then connect the output of your choice on the Connect (analog, optical, coax) to the appropriate input on the Onkyo. This will give you the ability to play all Sonos sources on the Onkyo, as well as playing the turntable source on all other Sonos devices.