Answered

Connecting a single sonos one to a play 5

• 11 September 2018
  • 6 replies

Hello and im still fairly new to the sonos world and at the moment i currently have a single sonos one, and im really conisdering purchasing a play 5. But my question is that van i connect/sync a one and a play 5 together?( i know i cant do a stereo setup qith this but at the moment i just want some bigger sound and if i can sync the 2 together ill purchase a 2nd sonos one in a few months)
Thank you so much!
icon

Best answer by bockersjv 11 September 2018, 11:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What you want to do is the key feature of the Sonos speakers. You can group all the speakers you have from different rooms and play the same material in sync in all those rooms.

So the answer is yes. When you add the Play 5 you will need to set it up as a separate room. Then you can group that with the existing Play 1 room for fuller sound.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The other option to Grouping is called Pairing and requires two identical speakers (number and generation need to match) what you end up with then is a single room but a Stereo pair.

The Play 5 has a fair Stereo image but I find a Paired set of smaller speakers has a stronger one. Paired Play 5s are great together too.

In your situation I'd think about a Pair of Sonos Ones at the front of the room as the first step.

A close second would be the Play 5 at the front of the room and your Sonos One Grouped with it and placed to the rear of the listening area. I do this with a Pair of Play 3s and a Play 1 and it when balanced to your seating location sounds pretty good.
Thank you for the replies! I went with just the play 5 grouped with the sonos one. With the one at the back of the room(closer to me) but running a little lower volume and the play 5 at the front running a fraction louder and it sounds really really good. But with another question!? In the future, i would like to make a surround setup. Would a pair of play 5s over power a sonos beam? Or with the right tweaking and configuration would they sound good?
Most of us consider anything more than a PLAY:1 or Sonos One to be overkill as a surround speaker....but if you're also playing a lot of music and not watching TV with them, and have them set up as "full" rather than "ambient", a pair of PLAY:5 second gens may be the right thing for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd be very tempted to have a stereo pair of play 5s in the front as a room and group it with the 5.0 setup of a Beam and 2 Play 1s at the rear.

If I felt a Sub was needed I'd get one and fuss for days trying it on both Rooms (5s and Beam/1s) to see where it gave me the best sound.
Ill mainly be using it to listen to music. Ir more of a music person rather than a movie guy. I think in going to save up for a second play 5 second generation and make a stereo pair with those and move my sonos one to a different room. And then eventually get the beam and make a 5.0 setup for music playing