Question

Connect Sonos to WiFi without Internet

• 19 October 2016
  • 2 replies

I have a Sonos Play 1, and I only have a mobile internet connection.
When I purchased, I also bought a WiFi Router so I could set up the Sonos and play music, but this WiFi network is not connected to the internet as I only have through my phone.
I researched but couldn't find a way to stream music from my Apple Music and TuneIn accounts to my Sonos at home.

My question is, how can I stream music and radio from my phone to my Sonos with only a internet connection from my phone?
Hope this makes sense.

Thanks everyone

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You need another device to act as a controller if you are using the mobile phone as a mobile access point. It cannot create the network and connect to the network at the same time. In this configuration your router is redundant, unless it can connect to your phone, which would normally only be true of a travel router.
You can configure your Sonos to connect to your phone's hotspot, however you will need a second device (also attached to the hotspot) to control it. The phone can't act as hotspot and Sonos controller at the same time.

A tablet, or a cheap SIM-free Android phone, or a basic iPod Touch (5th gen and higher) could function as Sonos controller.