Answered

Compatibilty Sonos S2

Badge

Hi, Today Sonos announced the S2 software for their latest speakers. Will the Play:1 and Play:3 speakers be compatible with the S2 release?

icon

Best answer by John B 17 March 2020, 14:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Despite me not mentioning anybody and repeating it was about nobody in particular, fill your boots if you think otherwise.  If I had meant expert as a sarcastic comment I would have done as you did and placed it in ‘’s - but didn’t.  I also didn’t say you claimed to be one when I used the word so the irony is actually they’re your words, not mine.

For what it’s worth I would regard you as an expert and easily one of the most knowledgeable users on here.  Sadly the other side has come out again, although I actually have no clue what my ‘schtick’ is or what SJW refers to other than my username.  Well done though, did it again.

As requested by the Sonos rep, I‘ll refrain from answering.  But Google is your friend. 

Social Justice Warrior.  Perhaps your username is your initials or means something else to you, but that’s a common understanding of the letters, and it comes with a certain connotation.

Part of the reason why my username means absolutely nothing to anyone.  :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My user name means it took me five tries to get a working forum account set up.

@efxlab .You should not be posting this on the main forum. You should delete the content immediately. 

Badge

Oops. Sorry. 

Userlevel 1

I guess the S1/S2 ‘construction’ is a fair compromise to accommodate older and new devices, at least I will give it benefit of doubt for the time being and see how it all works out in real world later this summer. But there is one thing I remain puzzled about; how come the Play 3 is S2 compatible, it’s just as old (or even older) as the first generation Play 5, Connect, Connect AMP… Is is just because there is no successor yet?

More likely because it contains more internal memory in which to store the S2 software necessary.

I guess the S1/S2 ‘construction’ is a fair compromise to accommodate older and new devices, at least I will give it benefit of doubt for the time being and see how it all works out in real world later this summer. But there is one thing I remain puzzled about; how come the Play 3 is S2 compatible, it’s just as old (or even older) as the first generation Play 5, Connect, Connect AMP… Is is just because there is no successor yet?

Actually, it is younger than all three of those.  The legacy Connect and Connect:Amp models were a rebranding of the ZP90/ZP120, which launched in October 2008, and the Play:5 Gen 1 (originally S5) launched in November 2009.  The Play:3 didn’t arrive until July 2011.  And as said above, the Play:3 has double the memory and storage than the older models.

what models of the connect amp are compaitble with Sonos S2 app.

Sonos S2 not compatible despite all Sonos equipment being listed as compatible.

I only have the Sonos equipment highlighted in the attached schematic taken from https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

Yet the Sonos S2 Controller does not work - states that my Sonos devices are incompatible. See second attached image.

Any help appreciated

@MNW, Either click in the PC controller on ‘More Options → Forget current system’ (you won’t lose any settings but afterwards you would need to remove the S1-Controller manually from the machine; the S2 app can be found here) or use the iOS/Android app (‘Settings → System → System Tools → Compatibility Check’).

Use the mobile app, not the desktop.  See for example here (and many other threads):

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/play-1-and-play-5-set-up-s2-says-not-compatible-help-page-disagrees-6843417

Smilja and John B, thanks so much - that solved it! 👍