Answered

Compatibilty Sonos S2

Badge

Hi, Today Sonos announced the S2 software for their latest speakers. Will the Play:1 and Play:3 speakers be compatible with the S2 release?

icon

Best answer by John B 17 March 2020, 14:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

According to this, the Play:1 is not supported

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/your-sonos-speaker-is-about-to-get-a-big-upgrade

Yes the Play:1 and Play:3 will get the new software.  The Play:1 and Play:3 are not ‘legacy’ speakers.

According to this, the Play:1 is not supported

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/your-sonos-speaker-is-about-to-get-a-big-upgrade

Here is an article that gets it right.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/17/21182164/sonos-s2-announced-app-operating-system-high-res-audio-dolby-atmos

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

The main new detail that troubles me is am I correct that I can’t add new post April models to a legacy ‘S1’ network? That freezes me out from updating my system until I’ve upgraded all components to newer models I think?

See this newly added help article for further information.

Sonos S2 overview and compatibility

The main new detail that troubles me is am I correct that I can’t add new post April models to a legacy ‘S1’ network? That freezes me out from updating my system until I’ve upgraded all components to newer models I think?

That’s not a new detail.  Sonos stated this shortly after the first announcement.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Will they let you add S1 kit, second hand, to your S1 system i wonder….like a gen1 play5

Will they let you add S1 kit, second hand, to your S1 system i wonder….like a gen1 play5

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/adding-new-devices-to-a-system-containing-legacy-devices-6835912

Probably.  Whether you buy new or used, there would need to be a mechanism in place for ‘downgrading’ from S2 to S1.  I say probably, but I don’t really know for sure, as I’ve lost track of some of the details..  Regardless, I would hold off until May when you’ll know exactly what that mechanism is and whether it makes sense for you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

That’s not a new detail.  Sonos stated this shortly after the first announcement.  

Thanks - definitely one I missed within all the noise on this. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I believe, it should be technically feasable if Sonos would also implement mixed S1 + S2 devices in one modern App - even if this means, that if you have groups of mixed devices they will go into a “degrade” mode - e.g. not being able to play HiRes (oldest device in the group sets the feature level) - but this seems to be strategic move from Sonos to make development easier for them and to get rid of legacy devices in the mid-term. Where can I file an complaint?

I believe, it should be technically feasable if Sonos would also implement mixed S1 + S2 devices in one modern App - even if this means, that if you have groups of mixed devices they will go into a “degrade” mode - e.g. not being able to play HiRes (oldest device in the group sets the feature level) - but this seems to be strategic move from Sonos to make development easier for them and to get rid of legacy devices in the mid-term. Where can I file an complaint?

If you mean to file a complaint with Sonos, you essentially just did. Sonos does read these forums.  If you mean with a 3rd party,   I have no idea how it’s done in your country.  

Sigh. It has been stated numerous times that a mixed legacy-modern system is technically not feasable. Every single component within a system must run on the same firmware version. Operating a multiroom system is a wee bit more complicated than playing around with an iPhone.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@SmiljaSigh even more. I have invested really thousands of Euros into my Sonos system and now they are telling me I either have to upgrade my legacy products ( 30% tradeup is okayish, but still I would need to invest a 4 digit amount to upgrade all my legacy products) or split them into a S1 and S2 system if I want the features on my modern devices. Sigh Sigh Sigh. Being a seasoned IT architect experienced with this kind of development topics for quite some years, I understand there is complexity, but this does not mean its not possible. Sighing endlessly. what do you do btw. do besides accusing customers you don´t know of being incompetent? 

@SmiljaSigh even more. I have invested really thousands of Euros into my Sonos system and now they are telling me I either have to upgrade my legacy products ( 30% tradeup is okayish, but still I would need to invest a 4 digit amount to upgrade all my legacy products) or split them into a S1 and S2 system if I want the features on my modern devices. Sigh Sigh Sigh. Being a seasoned IT architect experienced with this kind of development topics for quite some years, I understand there is complexity, but this does not mean its not possible. Sighing endlessly. what do you do btw. do besides accusing customers you don´t know of being incompetent? 

Just to be clear, you won’t be losing any features you currently have on your modern speakers if you stay on a legacy/S1 system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The number of times users have been told in the past (not by Sonos but other experts) that Sonos couldnt have two Apps (like a legacy and current….) on the Stores…. Nice to know they actually can..

Me? Being around for roughly five years, I’m now caught up in a ‘troubleshooting the most common Sonos hiccups’-loop sans chance to escape.

The number of times users have been told in the past (not by Sonos but other experts) that Sonos couldnt have two Apps (like a legacy and current….) on the Stores…. Nice to know they actually can..

I don’t recall anyone saying that.  It’s been said that Sonos would support multiple versions of the app, as in users picking whatever version they like the best, before.  Not the same thing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

It's been said lots and lots.  Think it was even said it was even against Apple's T's & C's when users were asking for more than one version.

Doesn't matter though - call it S1, S2, Legacy, both etc. at least they can do it and are allowed to.

Ok then.  Not sure who you’re refer to specifically, but I never thought and have said recently that I thought two apps was a strong possiblity for handling the 2 system situation.  I’ve actually have two versions of the smartthings app on my android phone right now.

It's been said lots and lots.  Think it was even said it was even against Apple's T's & C's when users were asking for more than one version.

Doesn't matter though - call it S1, S2, Legacy, both etc. at least they can do it and are allowed to.

I said it, and it appears I was wrong.  It happens.  So enjoy your petty little victory that you seem to have waited years to celebrate.  I’ll still put my knowledge, not to mention the number of times I’ve helped people on here, against yours any day of the week.

And by the way, never once have I claimed to be an “expert”.  Those are your words, not mine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Ok then.  Not sure who you’re refer to specifically, but I never thought and have said recently that I thought two apps was a strong possiblity for handling the 2 system situation.  I’ve actually have two versions of the smartthings app on my android phone right now.

Not referring to anyone specifically, just been said a lot that's all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Wow, sigh…

Not referring to anyone specifically, just been said a lot that's all.

As I said, enjoy the petty victory.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Ok guys, let’s stick to being friendly again and get back on topic. No need to go back and forth here.