Answered

Compare Sonos Play 5s with wired speakers

• 16 October 2019
  • 4 replies

My ancient Bose 3-2-1 stereo system is dying, and I would like to upgrade (find out wherther all those Bose-hares out there are right).

Has anyone compared the Sonos Play 5s with high-end wited speakers, like the ones in Magnolia stores?  Or with any wired hi-fi speakers?

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 16 October 2019, 09:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Any loudspeaker is, to a greater or lesser extend, going to sound different depending upon the amplifier driving it. Some speakers more faithfully reproduce the sound they are supplied with than others.

If you are asking about high-end wired speakers, are you considering £1,000/pair speakers or £20,000 pairs? What amp is driving them? How good are your ears? 

When I was a lot younger, I used to have a Linn set-up, costing more than I care to admit. I listened to a lot of systems from different manufacturers. Some had a tone I liked; others I disliked.

You should really have a listen to some different kit and decide for yourself.

I would also say that a Sonos Play:5 “speaker” is, in fact, a speaker set (3 tweeters and 3 mid/woofers) with 6 amplifiers to drive them, together with a computer capable of [s]Bluetooth,[/s] ethernet and wi-fi, plus memory etc you really should get “better” sound from a “high-end” system.

Sonos advertise that their speakers are “tuned” to deliver a particular sound. To my ears, I like the sound, I’m happy with the price of the devices, I like the wire-free convenience, and I love the multi-room capability they provide. 

Take advantage of the home trial offered by Sonos and try them for yourself. Then decide for yourself. And if you want to post back hear when you’ve come to a decision, I’m sure others will be interested in what kit you auditioned, and why you chose whatever you do eventually select. Remember that half the fun of selecting new kit is the search for it!

One slight correction to the excellent post above. The Sonos PLAY:5 (gen 2) has a Bluetooth Low Energy system to assist in set up, it does not have a Bluetooth music capable system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Bruce is correct: my apologies! 😜

Thank you both.