Answered

Combining 2 Sonos Play1 with an LG SJ9 Soundbar

• 26 May 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge
Hello. I would need some guidance. I am getting an LG TV to which I am adding their Dolby Atmos Sound bar SJ9.I would like to add my 2 Sonos Play1 Speakers to this setup. Is it possible ?Maybe with the SONOS CONNECT Smart Wireless Stereo Adaptor ? is there a less expensive solution if at all.Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 May 2018, 17:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Not really possible.
Let me modify that. Yes, if you were to take the output (stereo) from that sound bar, you could send that to the stereo input of a CONNECT, and then that data, after a certain amount of delay for processing/buffering could be sent to the pair of PLAY:1s. But that delay would be the killing problem that really can’t be avoided.

There’s no way I’m aware of to use Sonos speakers of any kind to function as part of another company’s sound bar solution in a satisfactory manner.
Badge
Tnx For a quick answer. let me as well ask in a different way: If I use the Sonos connect optical out to the LG Soundbar optical input, in theory, I assume, I will be able to play the music in to the Play 1 speakers and the Sound bar now connected to the Connect .Am I missing something?
Ok, totally different mindset on this one. 😉

For music purposes, if there is an optical input on the LG sound bar (and I assume there is), then yes, the sound bar should then be playing music in sync with the grouped PLAY:1s

The CONNECT would be one room (and anything connected to the output, either via optical or analog/rca), which when grouped with the PLAY:1s would all be in sync. You only pay for the delay when data enters the Sonos, not when it exits.
Badge
Very much appreciated. Just ordered the connect on Amazon . Should have it on Tuesday. Will test and post.Thanks!
Glad I was able to help. My first impression was that you were trying to use the Sonos as part of the Dolby Atmos cinema part, not as music speakers. 😉
Be careful. Irrespective of the input to the Sonos system, the signals from the CONNECT and PLAY:1s will only be in sync at their own outputs. If the LG sound bar does any kind of sound processing it could introduce its own delay downstream of the CONNECT, which would throw the audio out of sync. The bar would need to have a 'direct mode' of some kind.

One other thing: sending the TV sound to the CONNECT's Line-In (and thence to the sound bar and PLAY:1s) would incur the standard Line-In delay of about 70ms. This could upset lip-sync with the TV picture. You'd also be limited to stereo, stripping off all the useful surround information. A non-starter really.
Badge
Thank you ratty . What I am trying to constitute is to to use the LG soundbar (Optical input) and the 2 Play 1 using the connect optical output as one system. I have no intention of using the PLAY1 with the TV system (To be honest that would be overdoing as the SJ9 Playbar is more than enough to give you a full room cinematic experience).
Badge
:)Works like a charm. The Connect is connected with optical to the sound bar, this is grouped with the 2 play 1's and the music i filling the room.Thanks all for your help!.:)