Question

Chronic Connection Problems

• 20 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 0 replies

I have had 4 Sonos speakers for three years - two Play 5 in my living room and two Play 1 in the office. For the first two years they worked beautifully. Over the past 6 months or so, I have had chronic conection problems. Almost every time I use either set or both, one speaker or sometimes a whole room disappears from the app and won’t play. I have repeatedly gone through the reconnection protocols, rebooting and “adding a product” and “finding a missing product”. But these problems persist. I have not changed anything in the system - not my router or my computer, or any other devices except for adding an echo recently , which rarely works with Sonos either. What happened? This is really frustrating. I usually end up having to connect a speaker directly, which is a huge pain. And then it will sometimes restore the speaker, but only until the next time.  

2 replies

Try unplugging your Sonos devices, all of them.

While they’re unplugged, reboot your router.

Wait for a minute after your router has rebooted and then plug all the Sonos devices back in to the power.

Test.

If you’re still having a problem, it’s likely due to [url=https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3286]wifi interference[/url], probably from something outside of your normal network. When I had this issue, it was a microwave that was getting old, but I’ve also had issues with neighbors adding new devices in their homes. It’s unfortunate that our local networks don’t exist in isolation, but unfortunately, they don’t.

If that doesn’t help, I would recommend that you [url=https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141]submit a system diagnostic[/url] within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or [url=https://www.sonos.com/contact/contact-options%23]contact Sonos Support[/url] to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Do you have a Bridge? Run a temp Ethernet to another Sonos device and remove the Bridge power connector and see if it helps.

It really sounds like a WiFi issue, maybe a noisy channel? Have you tried 1, 6 and 11 to see if any of them is better?

When you have one speaker wired and the controller’s about screen shows all in WM:0 you can get a snapshot of the wireless condtions and your mesh configuration from the network matrix. Use your Sonos IP, not mine and this link should work:

172.16.1.115:1400/support/review

You can submit a diagnostic to Sonos and then contact Sonos support (see the contact page for 24x7 support options) and give them the diagnostic number to have them look at things.