Question

Chinese music services no longer work

• 17 September 2016
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I used to use some of the Chinese music services with Sonos and they worked pretty well. But recently some of they have stopped working. Either songs are unplayable after being added to playlist or the songs are not even showing. It is especially bad with the two services shown in the screenshot that I attached.

I suspect the reason might be that they started to block foreign access due to copyright issues. I encountered this issue when I was using their own app, but was able to resume using them after becoming a paying member of theirs (paying member can use the service internationally). But apparently they still don't work with Sonos even that I added them to Sonos with my paying member credential. Would very appreciate it if you can look into this issue. Thank you!

David
===
Edit:
I have found this related topic, where it was advised not to discuss the geoblocks:
https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/duomi-service-37296

However my issue is different, since I believe if those services allows international usage as a paying member, it should not matter whether I am using it through their own app or Sonos. I understand it is probably not Sonos's fault, but I will very appreciate it if you can look into this issue. Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, hypm. Can you tell us what these services are called? It could be that they do not allow international listening on our devices. As you have suggested, they impose these rules, unfortunately. I'd be more than happy to have a look and see if I can find some terms, once I know what services these are.
Hi, hypm. Can you tell us what these services are called? It could be that they do not allow international listening on our devices. As you have suggested, they impose these rules, unfortunately. I'd be more than happy to have a look and see if I can find some terms, once I know what services these are.

Hi Edward,

Thank you, the two services in my screenshot are:
Xiami, Chinese: 虾米 (http://xiami.com/)
Netease Music, Chinese:网易云音乐 (http://music.163.com)
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi hypm, we only have China listed as the available region for these services. However there could be something else causing these issues. Send us a diagnostic, post the number here, and we'll see if there's anything unusual.
Hi hypm, we only have China listed as the available region for these services. However there could be something else causing these issues. Send us a diagnostic, post the number here, and we'll see if there's anything unusual.

Hi Tom,

Just tried to play Apple music and it seems fine, so my system was basically working.
Then tried to play from Netease music, got error, submitted diagnostic no. 6591686
Got same error for Xiami, submitted 6591691, and it's even worse that lots of items are unavailable (greyed out and unclickable) in Xiami.

Thank you for the help.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
On that diagnostic there's a few network issues which are a bit older, but nothing very serious and nothing which would stop a music service working.

If these services are not working for you, it does seem like it's just because the region where you are right now is not supported by them.