Question

Carry on or Checked Luggage?

• 15 January 2020
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

So I have a problem here. I’m currently study aboard in the US, and my home country is Vietnam. In Vietnam, we already have a beam, 2 plays 5, 2 plays 3, and 2 plays 1. So I’m planning to buy a playbar, and a sub, they are very long (playbar) and heavy (sub). Last year, I bought the Sonos Beam, but because it was shorter than the playbar so we was able to put it in the checked luggage. However, this time, both the Sub is too heavy (~36lbs), and the playbar is too long (the beam barely fits our luggage, so I’m sure the playbar won’t fit.)

So I have 2 options:

1. I can carry it as a Carry-On, but I’m worry that the playbar is also too long to fits in the cabin baggage, and the sub is too heavy to be carry on-board. So I’m not sure about this option
  2. I can check them as checked luggage. However, this can be quite problematic because they are high valued products so they can be easily stolen. Second, I’m worry that the box and the speakers can be damage, which I don’t want to happen.

Please let me know your option/solution about this! Thank you very much

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

First, I would make sure you are able to use Sonos speakers at whatever school or location you’ll be staying at.  If it’s school network, you might not be allowed to have internet devices like Sonos.

Second, how long will you be studying in the US?  It might make more sense to just wait till you get to the US and then buy the speakers you want.  After your stay is completed, you could either ship them to Vietnam or sell them here.  Sonos speakers hold their value pretty good, so I wouldn’t be too surprised if makes more sense to sell them, then buy again in Vietnam if you want,  then to have them shipped.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

First, I would make sure you are able to use Sonos speakers at whatever school or location you’ll be staying at.  If it’s school network, you might not be allowed to have internet devices like Sonos.

Second, how long will you be studying in the US?  It might make more sense to just wait till you get to the US and then buy the speakers you want.  After your stay is completed, you could either ship them to Vietnam or sell them here.  Sonos speakers hold their value pretty good, so I wouldn’t be too surprised if makes more sense to sell them, then buy again in Vietnam if you want,  then to have them shipped.

Nope you got my idea completely wrong. I actually don't need to use the playbar here. I already have the sonos move for that.

I want to buy the sonos playbar and sub for my parents in vn, so around summer I could buy the combo and bring it back, but it seems to be almost impossible

Ahhhh.  Sonos doesn’t ship directly to Vietnam?

I suppose I would look at shipping companies, but don’t really have any experience in that area.

Userlevel 7

If looking into shipping companies as @melvimbe suggested. I’d look at Air Freight. You want the product in transit for the shortest period of time. Some will also offer packing and crating to ensure the best possible care.

When I was in Thailand, I found it easier to have a friend purchase the device from Amazon, and then ship it to me with a bunch of random stuff in a box. Otherwise, it would have been caught in customs for months, longer than when I was in Thailand. Had I known in advance, I would have stuck it in my luggage, despite the rather hefty weight (in terms of permitted luggage) that the Sonos has.

And yes, I thought about a PLAYBAR, but I couldn’t figure out the luggage that it would fit in. A Beam might have fit in my (large) suitcase, but a PLAYBAR definitely didn’t.

And yes, I thought about a PLAYBAR, but I couldn’t figure out the luggage that it would fit in. A Beam might have fit in my (large) suitcase, but a PLAYBAR definitely didn’t.

Maybe in a golf club bag? A case for a large instrument like a cello or bass?

I hadn’t thought about the customs delays for shipping.  I can see where it would be much easier to somehow bring it with you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

When I was in Thailand, I found it easier to have a friend purchase the device from Amazon, and then ship it to me with a bunch of random stuff in a box. Otherwise, it would have been caught in customs for months, longer than when I was in Thailand. Had I known in advance, I would have stuck it in my luggage, despite the rather hefty weight (in terms of permitted luggage) that the Sonos has.

I tried to look up the price to ship the Sub back to VN and it costs up to 900$ wayy too muchh. So this is not an option

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Maybe in a golf club bag? A case for a large instrument like a cello or bass?

I hadn’t thought about the customs delays for shipping.  I can see where it would be much easier to somehow bring it with you.

Or I can just buy it in VN but the price increased by alot

There weren’t any dealers in Thailand when I was there….and I was in downtown Bangkok, where pretty much any electronic item is available. I seem to recall that the closest real dealer was several countries away, perhaps in VietNam? It’s been a few years now. But yes, clearing customs would have been exorbitant and time consuming. I suspect you pay that import duty whether you do it yourself, or do it with a dealer. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

There weren’t any dealers in Thailand when I was there….and I was in downtown Bangkok, where pretty much any electronic item is available. I seem to recall that the closest real dealer was several countries away, perhaps in VietNam? It’s been a few years now. But yes, clearing customs would have been exorbitant and time consuming. I suspect you pay that import duty whether you do it yourself, or do it with a dealer. 

So I searched and there is a dealer that is selling Sonos Playbar and Sub, they sell around 900$, which is actually not terrible because they already included all of the shipment and import from US to VN, so around 200$ for tax and their profit. It seems expensive at first but then if I look at other options like ship from US to VN would take me around 900 + 700 = 1600, so yea...