Answered

Car Charger for Sonos Move?

Badge

Has anybody had success with any particular model of car charger for the Sonos Move? I bought one that matched the specs on the Move technical support page and it didn’t seem to work so looking for a brand or model that does.

icon

Best answer by skinbeats 15 August 2020, 00:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Good news having read all this thread I took a punt on this one which claimed compatible specs. Thought it was worth sharing.

A$32 Inc a fast Charging cable which you might not need. Works very well and is a compact size. shows the power it's delivering. My move connects at 20v and about 1.6a. charges pretty fast ( I wasn't paying attention as I was camping )

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Baseus-65W-Car-Charger-PD-QC4-0-FAST-Charge-USB-Type-C-Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter/363091339524?pageci=ae21cfe6-3f4b-4ac6-a01c-ac49492ca74c

Success!!  https://www.laptopplus.com.au/65W-USB-Type-C-Car-Charger.aspx?prodid=3403 for A$89 plus postage.  Orange light comes on and then off after about 10s us the lightning symbol shows in the app.  Charged from 56% to 65% very quickly.  

Needed to buy a car charger for my Dell XPS 13 (2019 edition).  Hoping it worked with my new Move.  Pleased to report that it does.  Item is Dell Auto Air Adapter 65W USB-C.  The code number is 450-AFLE.

Does it show charging status in the app, orange light on the front, or both?

I just ordered this one Lenovo 65W USB-C DC Travel Adapter | Travel Chargers | Part Number: 40AK0065WW | Lenovo US (also available at Provantage.com) and will try it out. I have had good luck with Lenovo’s laptop DC chargers before so I decided to try them again.

No luck with this one. It should have enough power per the specs. It charges my Macbook Pro 16” but not the Sonos Move. If I figure something out I’ll report back.

Hard to believe it is this difficult to get a car charger to work.  I just bought and tried the Alogic  60w rapid laptop car charger and it doesn’t work even though outputs match Sonos requirements.  Charges MacBook Pro no problem but not Move. Already confirmed USB-c works as it charges using apple wall charger.  Will now try and find 1 of the above that has been confirmed as works here in Australia.  Very disappointing from Sonos as clearly an issue with the design and can’t have been tested by them prior to launch

I just ordered this one Lenovo 65W USB-C DC Travel Adapter | Travel Chargers | Part Number: 40AK0065WW | Lenovo US (also available at Provantage.com) and will try it out. I have had good luck with Lenovo’s laptop DC chargers before so I decided to try them again.

Badge

Nice! now there are a couple of options.  Hey Sonos, how about getting an approved list going or actually just selling a SONOS car charger for the Move?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Needed to buy a car charger for my Dell XPS 13 (2019 edition).  Hoping it worked with my new Move.  Pleased to report that it does.  Item is Dell Auto Air Adapter 65W USB-C.  The code number is 450-AFLE.

Badge

I’m gonna stick with the working one I have (even though it’s pretty expensive by comparison) so if anyone else wants to test out the HyperPorts one, be my guest.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @skinbeats, thank you for the update.

I’m glad of the great news and thank you for sharing this information here in the community.

Now we have a car charger that can potentially be used by other Move owners.

We apologize for the misinformation about the Anker charger. I’ll send this as feedback 

I also checked the other potential chargers, the MANINAM Metal USB C Car Charger doesn’t have the specifications for the voltage and amperage output.

So, I’m not sure about the MANINAM charger. The HyperPorts however has 45w max 12V/3A or 20V/2.25A for the PD port; this is within the requirements.

Anyway, if you need further assistance, feel free to reach out. The community is here to help.

Badge

WE HAVE A WINNER! 

The BatPower charger works. charged the Move right away. no issues. of course this was the most expensive charger I tried but appears to be worth the money. here’s the link on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/BatPower-Charger-MacBook-Surface-Latitude/dp/B07KDXLQ3B/ref=asc_df_B07KDXLQ3B/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416723174073&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3441301467817257857&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030966&hvtargid=pla-661137774132&ref=&adgrpid=100759323984&th=1

Badge

I’ll test the BatPower today… funny, it was Sonos phone support that suggested II try the Anker so I didn’t look too closely at the specs… if the BatPower doesn’t work, I found 2 more to try… do u see these as possibly viable?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082ZY5GXX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1C0P08RHIUS5I&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JJJ911R/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1RPX9K4BD5W4O&psc=1

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @skinbeats, thank you for the update and sorry for the late response.

Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot car chargers for the Sonos Move.

We understand the sentiments of it not working as intended when the first charger was on the required specifications.

I checked the Anker charger and the 20V=1.5A is not enough amps and 5V=3A is not enough volts.

The BatPower charger however looks promising. Output 90w max at 12V 3A or 20V 4.5A.

We apologize for the inconvenience and the time lost. Update us with your findings of the BatPower charger.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Badge

Update #1:  Anker charger that was suggested by Sonos phone support does not work, Don’t even get an orange light or anything on the Move.

Avoid this one too for Move Charging:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WYF9HP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&psc=1

The other charger arrives tomorrow. that one is more powerful so we’ll see.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Thanks for the update. Totally not surprised at the response from Sonos 🤦‍♂️

I'm interested to hear if you find one that works 🤞

Badge

I’m waiting for the other chargers to arrive to test them, but in the meantime, I got this doozy of a reply from Sonos support:

“while it seems to meet our expectations from what we can see, we wouldn't expect a car charger to work on this case since they are mainly intended for laptops and cellphones.”

um WHAT? Are you KIDDING? ALL the chargers that use the USB-C port are intended for laptops and cellphones, what do you think they do normally? I have to say I’m pretty disappointed in SONOS for this whole portable charger situation for the Move… it’s pretty stupid.

Badge

FYI I spoke to phone support about this charger… the issue is it doesn’t specify that the port is a PD Port so they recommended I find a model that does. I found 2 options that I’m considering:

https://www.amazon.com/BatPower-Charger-MacBook-Surface-Latitude/dp/B07KDXLQ3B/ref=asc_df_B07KDXLQ3B/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416723174073&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3441301467817257857&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030966&hvtargid=pla-661137774132&ref=&adgrpid=100759323984&th=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071WYF9HP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&psc=1

any thoughts before testing out one of these?

Badge

The battery icon does change to the thunderbolt (though the difference between those icons is so subtle I didn’t even notice it until you mentioned it) when using the mac charger and the amber light does flow on and off so the USB-C port does seem to be working just fine. When I plug in the car charger, the amber light flows on and off as if charging but the indicator doesn’t  change to the thunderbolt.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

The phone agent probably sent you here in the community for chargers that work with other Sonos user’s Moves.

I would like to confirm when using the Mac charger, the battery icon in the Sonos app under the System tab(Once named rooms) with a thunderbolt? or the move blink red?

If not, this is a possible hardware failure on the USB Type - C port.

When contacting our Phone support, mention the model of the charger so the agent can check the specifications.

It’s within the requirements and should work.

Badge

Hi @skinbeats, thank you for the update.

I checked both diagnostic, Move is still not charging. 

I will now recommend calling our Phone support as this might be a hardware failure.

The charger meets the criteria and is working on other devices but not the Move.

It should work as per the requirements for the Type C charging.

The phone support also has more options to address the issue.

Phone support sent me here, but I’ll try them again I guess… the Move certainly DID charge using the Apple wall charger so the diagnostic seems to just not be accurate. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

I checked both diagnostic, Move is still not charging. 

I will now recommend calling our Phone support as this might be a hardware failure.

The charger meets the criteria and is working on other devices but not the Move.

It should work as per the requirements for the Type C charging.

The phone support also has more options to address the issue.

Badge

update… after testing the Nekteck USB Type C Car Charger with 45W Power Delivery and 12W USB for an hour or so using the same Apple USB-C cable that worked with the Apple charger, the Nekteck does NOT charge the Sonos Move. the charge has dropped from 91% to 86% even though the charger is plugged in… So Sonos, even though this charger meets your specs, it does not charge the device… Anyone have a brand of car charger that DOES charge a MOVE?

Badge

Yeah I got that from the previous thread… just haven’t seen any car chargers attempted so… I guess I’m the guinea pig for this… and if it’s going to be such a pain to be able to charge when on the go, maybe Sonos should actually SELL a charger that works instead of making us guess… eh customer service? anybody listening? I suppose I can bring an inverter with me camping and use the AC charger but really, should we have to do that for a PORTABLE devide?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Note that it’s likely that the voltage required to charger the phone is likely to be substantially lower than the amount required to charge the much larger battery in the Move. 

True, but Sonos confirmed that the model I’m using meets the specs for a Move charger--see above. So according to Move, this charger should work.

All kinds of chargers that should work based on Sonos published specs inexplicably don't work with the move ((see previous threads). Unfortunately it's a guessing game if the cord and adapter combo will work. 

Badge

also full discloser, the Mac USB-C charger is the Apple 61W USB-C version that comes with a 13” Macbook.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MRW22LL/A/61w-usb-c-power-adapter